Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW General Discussion and Trip Planning » Best time to visit?

Discuss Walt Disney World character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
2/19/2015 6:45 AM
Jackie1996
Chip 'n' Dale
Jackie1996

My boyfriend and I are looking at visiting WDW in 2017 for our five year anniversary. (Because we're hopefully doing Tokyo next year =P) When is the best time to go both value wise and crowds wise. We've both been before but I was 8 and he was 3 so we're basically new comers.
We're looking at doing around 3 weeks in Florida with 4days (ish we haven't worked it all out yet) in Orlando, A week and a half to two weeks at Disney (Depending on how much we need) and then doing Busch Gardens, Aquatica and stuff like that.

Reasons we're not going until 2017:
-I don't graduate until then so I need to be focusing on uni
-I'll be 21 in May so we can rent a car
-We need two years to save up

So is there usually any special events or anything on during late may/early june? Also when do the American schools break up for less queues?
0 permalink
2/19/2015 8:40 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Jackie, now isn't that the question we all want to know the answer to these days?! LOL!
Honestly, without trying to sound stupid, no time is a good time any more. I know that sounds like a cheap answer, but in our experience, it just constantly seemed packed these days, sadly. There is always some reason, you know? Virtually all US public/Federal/state holidays seem to attract mass crowds. All school break weeks, which can vary by state, are always busy. Then there are seasonal events which attract huge crowds. Flower and Garden March - May. Star Wars Weekends in May and June. Then it's the summer. After that you run right into autumn with Food and Wine, and MNSSHP. Immediately after the last MNSSHP, MVMCP starts! It's a never ending, vicious cycle, I'm afraid!
If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them, but I hope that's a start!
edited by DisneyDan on 2/19/2015

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
2/20/2015 6:13 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

I might digress slightly. I went in October 2013, the week of Halloween, and (with one exception I'll discuss momentarily), the crowds were very manageable for the most part. Not empty, but not the kinds of crowds you'd see at summer or Christmas.

The weather is darn near PERFECT. Sunny, warm but not too hot, very light on the humidity. It rained once, and it was much cooler that day, but overall, great.

Furthermore, select dates in the fall qualify for either up to 30% or free dining plan. Now, there's a slight chance they might not do it, but they usually do. I got the dining plan offer, and it was great.

Now, the downside- that time coincides with the Epcot Food & Wine Festival. On weekends, as well as weekdays after about 4 or 5 PM, the World Showcase becomes PACKED with drunk people. Apparently, local Floridians use their discount and get sloppy. My advice- hit WS on a weekday as soon as it opens if you're down there at this time.

However, though, there's no BAD time. With planning, patience, and flexibility, you can manage even the busiest crowds and have lots of fun. I should know, because I was also down there at Christmas time in 2012.
0 permalink
2/20/2015 9:46 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Sadly FP+ has had a hugely detrimental affect on the attraction wait times. It's absolutely horrible. And trust me, it is getting a lot busier in the parks these days too. I'm not sure what is going on :/

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
2/20/2015 7:09 PM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

I wonder how much of it is that it's not so much busier as that the stuff being closed at DHS is having a blow back effect. People are finishing up at the Studios quicker, then park hopping over to one of the other parks.
0 permalink