Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW General Discussion and Trip Planning » Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party

Discuss Walt Disney World character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
8/8/2011 7:06 PM
Shiva
Stitch
Shiva

Hi all!

I will be making my first WDW vacation in early October, and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or suggestions for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. I know that the event officially runs from 7pm-midnight on the designated days, but they do allow park admission for event ticket holders into the park as early as 4pm (unless you already had park admission for earlier in the day, in which you would already be in the park and would just need to check-in for the MNSSHP event at one of the designated areas).

Some things I am interested in learning about include:
-ideal viewing areas for the Boo-To-You Parade?
-past experiences & locations of the event character meet-and-greets?
-are the Villains generally in one particular area for meet-and-greets or are they dispersed throughout the park?
-which non-Villain characters are still featured for meet-and-greets at night during the event (based on past years)?
-how far in advance should one get in place for the Villains stage show in front of the castle to get a good viewing spot?
-is it better to see the Villains stage show later at night (like the last performance after the parade times)?
-any suggestions to maximize on the 5-hour time frame of the event?

Thanks in advance!
Shiva

--
"You have to live your life spherically--in many directions. Never lose your childish enthusiasm, and things will come your way." - Lindsey Duncan in Under the Tuscan Sun
0 permalink
8/9/2011 9:43 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Hi Shiva,
What date are you going to MNSSHP? Jon and I will be there on the 16th October and can't wait. It has been a few years since we did the MNSSHP in WDW.
In response to your questions...
One of the best places for the parade is Town Square, right in front of Town Sq Theater (Expo Hall). The reason for this is that Main Street keeps the lights on, and is much brighter than the rest of the park, meaning you can get better photos if you so desire. Also, if you are further round nearer the Train Station, or in front ot it, you can see when the Headless Horseman is coming, and be ready to get photos as he passes by, as it is very brief. You could literally blink and miss him!
This year will be interesting for MNSSHP in terms of meet 'n' greets because Fantasyland is under mass construction, and Toontown is now totally gone. The key locations in the past to meet Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, the Fairies and the Princesses were in Toontown. The Pooh characters were in Fantasyland and the Jungle characters at the Adventureland Veranda. No this year we have Town Sq Theater hosting Mickey and the Princesses, and the Fairies in the Veranda. Mickey and Minnie before used to wander around their houses, as it is never too busy, and it had a more relaxed feel. Now, who knows how things will operate. And now that the Fairies have their home in the Veranda, we have no idea where Rafiki, Timon, Baloo,, King Louie, Tarzan, Jane or Terk will go. Nothing has been said as of yet.
Also, the Snow Witch began meeting last year for the first time in WDW, and was in Fantasyland near the ride I believe.
Gaston and Lotso are also due to appear this year, but again no word as to where, but it is expected they will be on set times.
Other characters around the park include Aladdin, Genie and Abu in the bazaar area of Adventureland, and Chip, Dale, Stitch and Goofy over at Rockettower Plaza Stage in Tomorrowland. This is only a dance party though, and unless it is a really quiet evening, it is notoriously difficult to get your photo with the characters, sadly.
The Dwarfs usually meet in Fantasyland too, but the may now move due to construction.
I think Woody and Jessie are in the Diamond Horseshoe. They also conduct a dance party, but it is usually dead inside. Bullseye may appear, but I think in recent years he has been absent.
Now that the Fantasyland construction is going on there is no dance party at the former Scuttle's Landing area, and so it is anyone's guess as to where Chip, Dale and Donald will end up.
Apart from the villains I listed above, and despite it being a Halloween Party, WDW are really lapse at putting out the villains. Your only chance to meet Maleficent, Dr Facilier, Captain Hook, and maybe a couple of others will actually be after the Mix and Mingle show. Make sure you stake out your spot quite early for one, and be sure to be near the front so that you can be in line ready to meet the villains as they come down. Be vigilant as to where they stop and make a dash for them as soon as they come out as they will only be out briefly, and even if you are IN the line you can still be cut off! You have to be aware that one of the showings, and I don't recall which one, DO NOT have the meets afterwards. I want to say it is the middle one - right before the second run of the parade - but I can't be sure. Hopefully someone here will know and respond!
As for maximising your time, well you are allowed into the park from 4pm, so do not waste time eating - eat dinner beforehand - and then be ready to get in line for the most popular character you want to meet before the official party start time - most notably the Dwarfs, as the lines will start to build at least an hour before the event is due to begin!

Providing you are not going to the very first one, your best bet is to keep your eyes open online as people will post details almost right away, then you can begin planning. I will probably blog about it too, nearer the time once we hear more.

I hope that helps!

Dan

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
8/9/2011 9:56 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

In addition, in past years characters from Alice in Wonderland have had a trick or treat trail between Toon Town and Tomorrowland; however, with the closing of Toon Town they would have to move (hopefully they wont just get rid of them)... my guess would be in the area around the Tea Cups but who knows.

Also, when Flynn and Naveen were removed as regular characters it was said they would return for the parties so Rapunzel/Flynn and Tiana/Naveen should be somewhere...

As Dan said, once the parties start in September we should know more as they don't normally change from party to party

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
8/9/2011 2:13 PM
Shiva
Stitch
Shiva

Thanks Dan & Jon! I just booked my vacation last week for the week of October 2-9, and I am super excited to be going during this event! I'm sorry that I'll be missing you guys! I have never been to a Disney Parks Halloween event, and this is also my first visit to the Disney World Resort, so there is the twin-layer of excitement and anticipation. I'll keep my eyes open, and of course, after my own visit, I'll add my own experiences to the mix!

--
"You have to live your life spherically--in many directions. Never lose your childish enthusiasm, and things will come your way." - Lindsey Duncan in Under the Tuscan Sun
0 permalink
8/20/2011 8:05 PM
chamgirl89
Mickey Mouse
chamgirl89

I too was wondering about the trick or treat trail in Toon Town. This will be my first year and I'm quite excited, especially with the appearance of Gaston (my cousin and I are going as two of the silly girls from Beauty and the Beast, so this should be quite fun)
0 permalink
8/29/2011 4:14 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Hopefully in about 2 weeks time when the first party happens we will have answers to our questions!
Jon and I will be there on Sunday 16th October for the party that night - we are really excited as it's been a couple of years since we have done MNSSHP at WDW, having spent the last few years in DLP!
48 days to go! Big Grin

--

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Dan.
0 permalink
10/11/2011 1:32 PM
Shiva
Stitch
Shiva

Hi all! I just got back from sunny & rainy Florida a couple of days ago. I went to the MNSSHP on 10/06 and 10/07. The 10/06 party was rain-free and packed! For the 10/07 party, there was a brief downpour of rain for about 30 minutes not long after 7 pm. For the remainder of the night, the sky sprinkled rain every now and then, but it was not too bad. The park emptied out considerably when it rained.

So anyone planning to attend the MNSSHP, assuming good weather, here are some of my tips based on my own experiences:
1.) The longest character lines are for the royal couples at Town Square Theater, Captain Jack Sparrow in Adventureland, and the Seven Dwarfs in Frontierland. If you are not going to more than one MNSSHP, I would select the one that means the most to you and queue up by about 6:15pm. You will most likely be within the first 10 groups to meet the characters and will be done shortly after the 7 pm party start time.
2.) Finding a good spot for the Villain Dance & Mingle show is not hard. The area immediately in front of the stage is really not ever densely packed. I suggest getting in place for your favorite villain about 10 minutes before showtime. Knowing where the queues for each of the villains will help you to more efficiently meet them. Maleficent's line is against the left hand metal railing on the left ramp beside the stage. Dr. Facilier's line is kept against the far left of the standing area in front of the stage (next to the ramp where Maleficent is). Queen Grimhilde's line is at the pole in front of the left speakers in front of the stage. Captain Hook's line is at the pole in front of the right speakers in front of the stage. Cruella De Vil's line is at the far right of the standing area in front of the stage, next to the right-hand ramp. The Queen of Hearts line is against the right hand metal railing on the right ramp beside the stage. Frollo does go into the crowd for meet and greets, and many people miss him easily, because it is dark. Be very assertive when taking a picture with Frollo to get your turn, as there usually is no actual line. From my experience, Maleficent, Dr. Facilier, Queen Grimhilde, Captain Hook, and Cruella De Vil had photopass photographers. The Queen of Hearts and Frollo do not.
3.) On 10/06 I was told that Jane was not there at the MNSSHP. She was there on 10/07, and I got to take a picture with Jane, Tarzan, & Terk all together.
4.) In the Town Square Theater, you will indeed meet Snow White & the Prince, Rapunzel & Flynn, and Cinderella & Prince Charming in the same room. This room may switch out for the roaming villains if it rains. I was able to meet the Tremaines and Jafar in here on 10/07 when the royals were on break.
5.) In the FairyTale Garden, Prince Philip and Princess Aurora do their meet and greets, rain or shine, and the line is constant but never too long.
6.) By the time I got to the Gazebo to meet Tiana and Prince Naveen, only Prince Naveen was there. From a distance at other times, I saw both of them there together, but time did not allow for me to meet Tiana.
7.) The Hag is definitely MIA this year. I looked for her.
edited by Shiva on 10/12/2011

--
0 permalink
10/11/2011 1:38 PM
Shiva
Stitch
Shiva

Oh a few more bits of advice:

1.) I did not see the Hag at all. She appears to be MIA this year.
2.) The Villains appeared to do the meet and greets after all 4 stage performances (weather permitting). In one night, you should be able to meet all 7 if you are very vigilant. On 10/06, the most I could get per show was 2. The first time, I met Maleficent and Frollo. The second time, I met Queen Grimhilde and was lucky enough to be the last person personally selected by Cruella for that set. The line was cut off behind me. I met the remaining villains the next day on 10/07, when the shows were all cancelled due to the rain and the villains did an extended-time meet and greet session at 11:20 pm. I met Captain hook, The Queen of Hearts, Dr. Facilier, and Maleficent (again) that time.

--
0 permalink
10/20/2011 12:12 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Thank you Shiva for all the hints and tips - I am sure people will find them useful.

--

Dan.
0 permalink