Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General News and Discussion » Save the Magic!!!

Post-a-picture threads, scrapbooking ideas, general polls, photography tips, general chit-chat and more!
the topic is closed |
8/3/2013 3:48 AM
Disney-Me
Stitch
Disney-Me

Hi all,

Ever since I was young until today I have always believed in Disney and specifically the Magic of Disney which lies in its characters!!!

For some time now I have noticed that some, "a lot" , of people online discuss Disney character topics in EXTREME detail and very openly!!!! And unfortunately these people call themselves "dedicated character fans"!!!!

I find this disturbing and sad because keeping the Magic and make belief alive are very important things in the world of Disney!!! It would not make sense to talk about something Magical and tell the people all the tricks behind the magic!!!

Disney characters were created on the concept of make belief! The feeling you get when you believe these characters are alive is indescribable and it is then that you feel and appreciate the experience of meeting with that character!!!

We all know the truth of the characters, but for the sake of keeping the Magic alive we should not talk about the details and anything about the characters that would ruin the Magic!!!

In my opinion, the TRUE Disney/Disney character fans are the people who have Disney on their minds, believe and enjoy in the Magic, and at the same time they safe keep the Magic of how characters turn to life, so that other people and themselves would also enjoy in the feeling!!!

I would like to share some examples of what I see people writing about which are such as: The Character I met before was much better than the Character we saw recently, or talk about a character that make it sound like there's more than one character of the same character around, Characters were out training, or calling a character an imposter and not the character we know because the character appearance doesn't resemble the character he/she is acting out to be, and much more...!!!!!! This is wrong and I believe that any personal opinion we have towards the characters should not be spoken out clearly where anyone from the public including children can read about it!!! These topics can be talked about to people who are behind the Magic or privately with your friends without having to state the obvious in public!!!!!!!!

I don't mean anyone specifically but what I'm taking about is in general!!! So I hope my statement was clear and I meant it out of my love and feeling towards the Disney product I care about SOOOO much!!!

I am sure that there are many people like me and I feel that we should work together to make the Magic a reality for everyone because unfortunately recently people have lost sight of the true nature of Disney due to the social media and online content that show embarrassing mishaps at the Disney parks via YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, etc.. It has also reached to the point that even cast members such as """friends of the characters""" have open discussions with fans and talk about things they shouldn't reveal to the public out of trust to Disney!!!!

So...PLEASE...lets try our best to save the Magic of Disney!!!

--
You have always been my dearest friend 💚 You make me feel like what your name is....HAPPY 💚
0 permalink
8/3/2013 4:39 AM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

Good on you, I totally agree, my mum suggested the other day I should work at Disneyland, but I said it would ruin the magic.

Once the magics gone its not coming back if I worked there. So yeah Big Grin

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

Next Trip: Photopass Day!

Follow my twitter @MitchellDisney for tweets!

Please check out my YouTube channel! https://t.co/8wbANN35lK including Vlogs from my Disneyland Paris holidays!
0 permalink
8/3/2013 4:47 AM
Jardisney
Minnie Mouse
Jardisney

You are absolutely richt disney me

--
Disney magic
0 permalink
8/3/2013 4:52 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

I am totally with you too - though I understand some of the posts made too and I am probably guilty of some of the things you have mentioned, including use of the imposter nickname.

I am always telling myself when I had a bad experience "How would a kid react?" I don't have kids unfortunately, but I am highly protective of kids in general, see the Emile story in my last trip report. For kids the magic is even more important. But thing is... some of the things I have experienced or read about have ruined the magic for adults, much less kids. Two of my adult friends strictly refuse to come to Disneyland Paris again after particular bad character experiences there, both with character friends and handlers. So I see the point why people want to talk about differences. And maybe point them out more than necessary.

A couple of things really got worse or in some cases got better out of the blue with characters that haven't been seen in ages suddenly showing up - it's positive of course, but if you haven't seen many characters all trips and suddenly it's 30 plus, people will begin to wonder. If the negative things get finally adressed by the park or straightened out (like for the "OMG where do these characters all come from?") the talk will go down by default. And if you haven't been doing something for a while... anyone needs training, right? Scrooge for example rarely gets to play in the park, so of course he needs to warm up to people again being the grumpy old duck that he is. Just ask my accounting department at work when they have to deal with my bookkeeping "skills" (and I use that term losely) after not bothering me all year. Big Grin

But I don't agree with Mitchell on the "once the magic is gone it's not coming back." Even if I hear or read a negative comment or one of the things that have been mentioned - when I am standing in front of any character I turn into a three year old in total awe, no matter what I have read, heard or typed before. Big Grin
+1 permalink
8/3/2013 7:34 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

I agree with Vala in that some aspects should be discussed, if for no other reason than potential future adult guests might be able to prepare themselves and their party for certain character meets (after all, if a character in a certain location doesn't really interact, that might spoil the magic for little ones, but if you go to a different location, that same character might be much more fun for the kids). Perhaps a new-subforum where those who do want to discuss that could be added, maybe?
0 permalink
8/3/2013 7:41 AM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

No Petra I'm exactly the same, but the thing is if I worked in DLP, especially as a 'friend' the magic would disappear for me, I wouldn't wanna do that to myself aha

Saying that I love 'magical' stories about characters, for example the story of Goofy and Martin in Martins latest trip report, thats a fantastic story, the same stands for other stories including many of yours Petra

One thing that's not helping the magic is the current Peter Pan at Disneyland fan craze that's going on over on twitter, I suppose if your on twitter normally then you could escape it, but when you have a 'fangirl' twitter like me then it's everywhere aha

I also hate it when the press print stories that ruin the magic, the sun are the worst for this, it was a while ago but there was stories about Tigger and Cafe Mickey that absolutely was horrible to read as a child.

Oh well, happy times we love Disney xD

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

Please check out my YouTube channel! https://t.co/8wbANN35lK including Vlogs from my Disneyland Paris holidays!
0 permalink
8/3/2013 8:45 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Disney-Me is 100% right, it has gone too far and we do all need to do more to preserve the magic. I am sick of innocently looking at Disney videos on YouTube to find some horrific videos posted by an extreme minority of cast members or former cast members, I watched one video the other day involving Frollo and Philoctetes which almost reduced me to tears. It was magic killing to the extreme, and was an absolute disgrace.

I must admit and I will be honest, there is no doubt that I have in the past used some of the terms above when talking about the Disney characters. I know I shouldn't have, but I'm honest enough to admit it and boy do I regret it!

I have always been a Disney fan and when I was young I was a huge character fan and loved meeting the characters in the park. Between the age of 14 and 18, I did not visit Disneyland Paris and only when I was 18 I returned to Disneyland with my girlfriend Amy for the first time together. I was initially intrigued about the magic surrounding the characters and perhaps did not publicly give them the respect they deserved when talking about them. However, during this past 24 months, I have fell head over heels in love with the characters and researching them and meeting them is now my biggest hobby. I spend lots of time watching them on YouTube, and I love discovering characters that I did not know had been seen in the parks before. For me the characters are genuine and are filled with the love created by Walt, which they can genuinely pass on through interaction. The interaction we have with characters gives us the most positive feeling and you can feel the magic in your heart when you get a hug from Minnie or a high five from Goofy!!

I know this sounds strange, but the Disney characters and Disney fans I have met have made me realise who I am. They have taught me that Dreams come true and that magic is real, if you believe, if you dream, you can!

Thanks for making this post Disney-Me and I am glad that others have agreed with the principles of the text and I know we can all do our but to create, maintain, preserve and protect the magic of Disney!!

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
0 permalink
8/3/2013 9:00 AM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

Honestly what you say about goofy high five etc is so true, Ive said this in another thread, but I've spent the week at Butlins, they have many characters famous in the uk, but with their meet and greets they are pretty plain, you stand by them and have a photo then that's it, but on Thursday we met Barney, and he gave me and my sister hugs and high fives and made us feel special, I mean ive always loved characters but cos I haven't been to Disney for a while I've missed out on the magic for quite a bit, but that hug and high five from Barney made me feel like it feels like at Disney meeting someone.

I must admit, before I found CC, I felt so lonely as a character fan, it bored me looking through Magic forum seeing the members there slagging off meet and greets etc, then I saw Dan post with a link in his signature and the rest is history Big Grin

I can safely now say that I'm loving being a character fan, I've never looked back, every trip report I see her inspires me and my sister (were really close) I mean we're already planning what time to wake up every morning and were going to try and do what Petra does with the hotel round up, we don't even need rare characters (although she has said she would kill to meet Launchpad or Hyacinth) we know we're going to enjoy meeting the characters Big Grin

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

0 permalink
8/3/2013 10:04 AM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

What annoys me more than anything is when people will say stuff when a character is there and in front of everyone else waiting to see the character. You'll not believe some of the stuff I've heard parents say to their kids about characters.

But for a lot of people the backstage magic makes the onstage magic that much better. Some people get more pleasure from meeting certain 'friends' then others. It sounds harsh but sometimes some 'friends' are better than others. But then I'd never ever single out a cast member and complain about them online. I've seen cast members labeled ugly, useless and people commenting 'how do they have a job'. A lot of cast members see these comments and its not nice.
edited by ssaamm on 8/3/2013
0 permalink
8/3/2013 12:01 PM
DisneyEmma
Peter Pan
DisneyEmma

Regarding the YouTube videos thing, I think the people who post this Disney videos of mishaps etc are clearly not Disney fans. I also think videos of characters doing stupid dances to those stupid songs breaks character integrity and I think that Disney should stop the characters from performing these sorts of things. I do not want to see Goofy doing the Gangham Style dance or Duffy doing the Harlem Shake.
edited by DisneyEmma on 8/3/2013
0 permalink
8/3/2013 6:53 PM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

Honestly? Some of the "stupid dances" are crazy fun. I personally enjoyed the breakdance contest video between Stitch and Push the Trash Can. Observe!

On a more serious note, however, I don't mind the characters engaging in modern pop culture, because it's something that's been done for decades. I had the Mickey Mouse and friends disco album growing up, I know of what I speak.
edited by mattblack on 8/3/2013
0 permalink
8/3/2013 7:07 PM
Dan - Tasmic!
Bullseye
Dan - Tasmic!

My pet peeve is when parents tell their children that character rotation as "going on break." Yes, we all know that, but your children do not need to know that. "Rupunzel is brushing her hair." or "Tinker Bell is getting more Pixie Dust or doing some tinkering," etc.......
0 permalink
8/4/2013 1:37 AM
DisneyEmma
Peter Pan
DisneyEmma

mattblack Wrote:
Honestly? Some of the "stupid dances" are crazy fun. I personally enjoyed the breakdance contest video between Stitch and Push the Trash Can. Observe!

On a more serious note, however, I don't mind the characters engaging in modern pop culture, because it's something that's been done for decades. I had the Mickey Mouse and friends disco album growing up, I know of what I speak.
edited by mattblack on 8/3/2013

You don't see the characters acting like that in the movies so why should they be shaking their bootys etc to songs like "I'm sexy and I know it"

I personally don't agree with it and hate seeing it in the parks. I'm glad DLP don't do this dance party nonsense.
+1 permalink
8/4/2013 4:25 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

In the movies, no. In associated merchandise? Yes, sometimes. Now, granted, it's only appropriate for certain characters. For example, the Princesses should never EVER dance the Macarena. Mickey and the gang, however, have always been somewhat tied into popular culture, so I have no problem with them keeping up with the times.

Also, the the Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars at SW Weekends? GENIUS.
0 permalink
8/4/2013 4:47 AM
DisneyEmma
Peter Pan
DisneyEmma

mattblack Wrote:
In the movies, no. In associated merchandise? Yes, sometimes. Now, granted, it's only appropriate for certain characters. For example, the Princesses should never EVER dance the Macarena. Mickey and the gang, however, have always been somewhat tied into popular culture, so I have no problem with them keeping up with the times.

Also, the the Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars at SW Weekends? GENIUS.

Well we shall agree to disagree, when I was little and visited Disney World you would never see characters act that way. So why should they now? If they want to dance to Disney music then fair enough but not modern pop songs that publicise things like sex. Where is the magic in that and what message is that giving young children? I'm guessing unless you are a parent you might not understand my point.

I fully believe in character integrity.
0 permalink
8/4/2013 5:57 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

Well, different upbringing, I guess. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and remember the characters interacting with pop culture- don't remember any songs about sex though, and that's how it should be, we can agree on that. But, yeah, they've been doing this kind of thing for WELL over a decade now. I remember an episode of Walt Disney World Inside Out where Mickey and the gang were jamming to a version of "Whoomp, There It Is" performed by 90s one-hit wonders Tag Team. In fairness, I'm not sure how much rewriting and editing was needed, as Tag Team makes Run-D.M.C. look like N.W.A.
0 permalink
8/4/2013 10:18 AM
Ryo
Stitch
Ryo

Recently, I feel same thing that Disney-Me felt. I also hear some people say "Today's Mickey is better than yesterday"
"This Mickey is same as last time I met" and so on. Of course, I am an adult, so I know "how character is made" "how character acts" BUT, Disney officially says "Mickey is the Mickey" "He is just one" I respect for Disney makes animation characters "live" in the our world. and there is a magic to live characters. So, we should be spelled magic Disney made. I think this is "manners" to enjoy Disney's world. Even if I know the tricks, I don't want to talk about
because of that reason.

I want to enjoy Disney & Disney Parks to have pure heart, now and in the future.
Because I really love "Disney" & "Disney mind"
0 permalink
8/7/2013 5:18 PM
Dan - Tasmic!
Bullseye
Dan - Tasmic!

Not sure if this belongs here or should I start a new thread on it, but my question is what do the "Friends" of the characters do when they are not needed? Do they have different roles to fill, like Captain Jack Sparrow, who is only out during Halloween Time. Am I making sense?
0 permalink
8/8/2013 6:02 AM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

Dan - Tasmic! Wrote:
Not sure if this belongs here or should I start a new thread on it, but my question is what do the "Friends" of the characters do when they are not needed? Do they have different roles to fill, like Captain Jack Sparrow, who is only out during Halloween Time. Am I making sense?

They're friends with other characters too
0 permalink
the topic is closed |