Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General News and Discussion » What is up with the Br'ers?

Post-a-picture threads, scrapbooking ideas, general polls, photography tips, general chit-chat and more!
the topic is closed |
5/20/2012 8:44 PM
mastromjm
Chip 'n' Dale
mastromjm

Hiya pals, got a question for those that might be a little more "in the know" here...not sure what kind of answer I'll get but I think it's worth a shot.

Does anyone know what is behind the choice to have Br'er Bear as the most common of the Br'er characters? It's a little strange to me that Br'er Rabbit is so rarely seen and he is the protagonist of his movie. As far as I'm aware he hasn't been out in Disneyland in many years and even though he does come around once in a while at the World, he's certainly not as common as the bear.

Also, it's a little weird to me that only the bear appears in Spectro and Fantasmic without Br'er Fox or Rabbit...especially in Fantasmic, since good triumphs over evil and there's a (technically) evil character right there on the finale boat!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the same applies to Robin Hood's gang...why are Prince John and Friar Tuck more common than Robin himself? He is, after all, the titular character of his movie!!
edited by mastromjm on 5/20/2012
0 permalink
5/23/2012 11:43 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

I agree with you about it being strange some of the characters that are out versus ones that are not... like you said you would think that Brer Rabbit and Robin Hood would be out more often than the other characters from those movies but obviously that isn't the reality. I don't know for sure; however, the one thing that would make sense would have to do with the height of the characters "friends". For example if Mickey and Robin Hood are the same height and only one can be out obviously Mickey would be out. I am sure there are other factors but this probably plays into it to some degree. It could also be a reason why in Tokyo there are a lot of the "mice height" characters out regularly but sometimes the taller characters are not around as much.

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
5/23/2012 5:02 PM
Captain Hook
Chip 'n' Dale
Captain Hook

I must say to answer your question about the most common one it has to be br'er best I always see him backstage causing havoc
-Captain Hook

--
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5121/5358075496_61e82c8825.jpg
0 permalink
5/25/2012 12:34 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

Agreed it is really odd about these guys, especially when they have such presence with Splash Mountain. At least Brer Rabbit gets out in the hoedown thing.

Kind of sad too that at the last MNSSHP, when the olf Alice / Hatter 'Treat Trail' was moved from fantasyland and themed to the Briar patch instead, there wasn't so much as a sniff of any SotS characters (unless I was looking in the wrong place!) =/
0 permalink
5/25/2012 11:12 PM
Love Melrose
Mickey Mouse
Love Melrose

Great question. I took my photo with Br'er Fox on Easter and with Br'er Bear the other night. Br'er Rabbit was at Fantasmic May 14th AP night on the Mark Twain with Roger Rabbit I saw Little John at Disneyland on February 29th (yes-Leap Day 24 hour) but I didn't get a photo of him. That was the day Modern Family was being filmed at Disneyland. You can see Little John on that episode. I wish rare characters weren't so rare.
0 permalink
5/29/2012 8:00 PM
Shiva
Stitch
Shiva

On Saturday, May 19th, my family saw Br'er Rabbit at Animal Kingdom. I was not there with them that day, but my brother did get a picture of him (but not with him). Br'er Bear was (of course) with Br'er Rabbit.

--
"You have to live your life spherically--in many directions. Never lose your childish enthusiasm, and things will come your way." - Lindsey Duncan in Under the Tuscan Sun
0 permalink
the topic is closed |