Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW General Discussion and Trip Planning » Which WDW Resorts have you stayed at? Thoughts and opinions

Discuss Walt Disney World character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
pages: 1 2 3 |
8/21/2012 8:01 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Hi all,

Which Walt Disney World Resort Hotels and Resorts have you stayed at or visited extensively? Which is you favourite, and why?
Or, do you always stay offsite? How does that work out for you?

I personally have stayed at the Bay Lake Tower, the Contemporary, Pop Century and Port Orleans Riverside. (I have stayed at numerous offsites too, in the past).
This year I'll also get to stay at both All Star Sports and Caribbean Beach for the first time Big Grin
Next year we'll be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time, too.
We have dined at the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian and the Beach Club, therefore visited those somewhat extensively too (even if not stayed at them).

I will give my thoughts, but want to hear from others first
edited by DisneyDan on 8/21/2012

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
8/21/2012 9:10 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

WDW: so far we've stayed at the Contemporary, Caribbean Beach (pirate room), Coronado Springs, All Star Movies, and Port Orleans French Quarter (our favourite resort). Later this year we'll be sampling Pop Century and Art of Animation (as well as returning to POFQ / ASM)

DLP: only the Santa Fe to record ... booo!

We tend to stay off site for most of the vacation if its more than just us 2 girls going as it works out cheaper to hire a villa. I'll fill in my thoughts on them later, supposed to be working right now - eep!
0 permalink
8/21/2012 9:29 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Rune, we've stayed in similar resorts! Contemporary, PO, All Star (upcoming for me), Pop...
Must have similar tastes (cheap haha! Kidding lol).

At DLP we've stayed at the Santa Fe, Cheyenne, Sequoia Lodge and the Disneyland Hotel. Have stayed in multiple off-sites at DLP quite regularly

--

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Dan.
0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:15 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

Hey, cheap is good, it means more money to spend on the finer things in life like Mickey Bars & ... uh ... Mickey bars.

Anyway ...

FLORIDA:

Contemporary Resort, WDW:

we stayed here for 4 days a couple of years back in 2008 (when Bay Lake Tower was still under construction) & absolutely loved it. Very slick, & the room was gorgeous with a little balcony that overlooked the swimming pools and the white sand beach backing on to the lake. It's a deluxe resort so heaps more expensive and can get a bit noisy in the lobby area due to Chef Mickey's popularity but we'd love to stay there again if we can afford it one day. The staff were really wonderful, the eateries are good, & it's great having the monorail whisking right through there with only 1 stop to the Ticket & Transportation centre. The close proximity of MK meant that we walked back from the park in the wee hours instead of hanging about for the monorail which was extra magical. Also loved hanging around on the beach here in the evening to watch the Electrical water Pageant. =)

Caribbean Beach Resort, WDW:

Spent a week here in 2009 in one of their newly opened Pirate Rooms. These include 2 beds with a 'pirate galleon' theme including curved prows and tall masts, various themed furniture, a barrel-shaped chest of drawers, POTC-themed curtains, carpet, bathroom fixtures, and a big tiled mural of the Flying Dutchman in the shower! We absolutely loved this place, it's a big resort though and split into different 'villages' (Jamaica, Aruba, Martinique, Trinidad North, Trinidad South) and although you can walk round to the different ones via pathways, most people seem to take the shuttle buses. We were in South Trinidad (I believe) which is about the furthest away from the food court area at Port Royal as you can get so it's worth bearing that in mind and asking to maybe be put closer to the action if you are going to be using the food court a lot and looking to get the most out of a refillable mug! The main pool is up at Port Royal too, but every 'village' does have a little pool too.

Coronado Springs, WDW:
Maybe it's because we were jammed in here at the last minute due to the Icelandic volcano eruption which meant the resort was packed to capacity (on the cons side we had to get out of our rented villa, on the pros side we spent another 10 days Stateside) but this, although perfectly fine, doesn't stick in my mind very well, although it might simply be that after the fun theming of the pirates room at CBR, this just felt like a more normal hotel room and there were very few Disney touches and not really enough to make me want to revisit for a while. Maybe one day... , the gardens and grounds were green and lush and looked good against the red-brick buildings and I did love the gift shop though with its Three Caballeros theme! ^^

All Star Movies, WDW:

Spent our last night of vacation here in Feb this year and were pleasantly surprised. We weren't sure what to expect from what Disney call a budget hotel and had read good and bad things but in all honesty we were very satisfied and for the time we spent in it, the room was excellent value. ASM is bright and cheerful, the staff were extremely efficient, and the room was fine for the two of us and had everything the moderate resort one did apart from a mini fridge and of course a bit less space. We could hear the people next door through the walls but hey, who wants to hang around indoors, let's get out to the parks! Again, it's quite a large resort so if you want to be close to the food court then ask for a building nearby. We're returning here in December!

Port Orleans French Quarter, WDW:

Simply put, this is my favourite of all the resorts we've tried so far, and the one we keep coming back to. It's the smallest of the resorts and even when going at busy times like Easter & Halloween it never feels crowded. Rooms are lovely with a 'mardi gras' theme (in fact this is carried out throughtout the whole of FQ - l love the whole resort design! There are shady little walkways and 'streets' to wander and everywhere you go there's jazz music (never loud enough to be obstrusive.) as it is such a small resort, even if you're in the farthest from the lobby / food court areas (to get those yummy beignets) it's still only a couple of minutes walk and it's easy to get the resort buses as well as catch the riverboat to Downtown Disney, something we love doing. After dark, horse drawn carriages that set off from the sister site PO Riverside, clop around the streets, it's got a wonderful atmosphere. Staff have always been lovely and to add to the Mardi Gras fun, you can collect strings of beads around the resort, everyone has them from the gift shop checkout to concierge to taxi guy! Can't wait to return in January! =D

Will report on the POP and Art of Animation after Christmas / New Year! =D

We've also rented villas in Florida, usually around the Kissimmee, 192 area. We went with Virgin originally but now usually select them privately or via agencies online. We're recently - in order to try and cut expenses - also started to try a few local hotels, again on the 192 as this means we can hire a car to get around and it's still cheaper than staying on property (although saying that we usually have some on property days too!) Favourite hotel so far is the Comfort Inn Suites at Old Town, very reasonably priced suites that sleep up to 6 and have a mini-kitchenette, microwave and so on. Plus you get your breakfast - including Mickey waffles - free into the bargain!

---------------------------------------------------

FRANCE:

Santa Fe Hotel, DLP:
So far, we've only stayed at the Santa Fe and I have to admit we were out early and in late so I can't remember a whole lot about it apart from the patterns on the walls and that it was perfectly fine for the 2 of us. We didn't bother with breakfast or the shuttle bus but walked to and from the park via Disney Village which took about 20 mins.

If I get an AP, it may mean with discount that it's possible to try another on site hotel if we only have flying visits, and of course off site, we'll be checking into the Ibis Paris marne La Vallee at Val d'Europe very soon! =)

Sorry for the long ramble, got a bit carried away, lol!
+1 permalink
8/22/2012 11:16 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

WOW! You by no means ramble Your reviews are GREAT! I'll have to digest all this properly later, but thanks!! Big Grin

--

Dan.
0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:25 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Rune Wrote:
Hey, cheap is good, it means more money to spend on the finer things in life like Mickey Bars & ... uh ... Mickey bars.

Too right!!
That's why we stay offsite at DLP - so we can go for longer, more often and can buy more stuff while there! Lol Big Grin

--

Dan.
0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:27 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Hi Dan.

What have I ever done to you??

First of all you post a picture of some old Italian croney on my Facebook and now you start up a topic that completly excludes me.

I'm going back to sulk in the Paris section!!!

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:29 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

LOL! Martin, I will start a DLP one if you like
(Actually I was going to, but have been caught up with house moving and also getting ready for my trip tomorrow... but rest assured, I can start a DLP Hotel thread in a few mins if you like! )

--

Dan.
0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:31 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

You're the boss.

Are you leaving for Disney already??

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:

0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:33 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

No, WDW is in 2 weeks time (2 weeks today! Big Grin ). I'm flying to Virginia for 2 weeks.
Don't worry, I'll still be around. Watching you all, making sure you aren't selling dodgy insurance policies and the like! :P

--

Dan.
0 permalink
8/22/2012 11:54 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

I was reading an interesting article on the BBC website about the Alice and Wonderland story and it's link to drug abuse. Maybe we'll all talk about that when you go away.

Only joking. So you'll be living it up in the USA for the near future. Make sure you post pictures on here, facebook or twitter! :0)

--

Next Trips:

0 permalink
8/22/2012 12:02 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

We're actually off to Busch Gardens Willamsburg at the weekend. They have characters there, so we'll be posting about our experiences from there!

--

Dan.
0 permalink
9/29/2012 6:29 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

Oi Dan / Jon, didn't you guys stay at the All Star Music, Poly & Caribbean Beach recently? Would love to hear what you thought of them & their facilities. =D
0 permalink
10/2/2012 10:17 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Eap! Just remembered to reply now! LOL!
We didn't stay at Poly, but we did indeed stay at All Star Sports and Caribbean Beach.
I really liked the Caribbean Beach. I thought the main food court/mall area was neat, and had a really good variety of things.
The only thing is, they have a really annoying bus system, and the Resort is huge. I always find it curious that the moderates have odd bus schedules and pick-up locations compared to the values!!
But anyway, I really enjoyed my stay there, but I have to say, I don't think it is my favourite. I actually liked Riverside better.

All Star Sports... well what can I say. We got it fot $50/night, and it is on property. Other than that, I prefer Pop Century by a million miles!
The All Stars are really showing their age now, and need a serious update, especially when compared to newer value hotels such as Pop and Art of Animation.

--

Dan.
0 permalink
10/2/2012 11:01 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

Yeah it *is* weird how the mods have the strange bus routes, we were right down in the pirate rooms in the Carribean and it was frustrating how the buses would sometimes go straight out to the aprks, or (esp if you were in a hurry) would go right round the entire resort and exit from the resort about 50 yards from where you started. Pain on the butt coming back at night too sometimes but yeah, Port Royal does have a good selection of foods.

I was sure you'd been to the Poly, lol. Maybe you were just passing through / I imagined it.

All Stars, yeah they could do with a bit of a makeover although saying that, the AS Movies was pretty good when we were there last time, or at least it was in the 'close to the action' blocks, maybe the Mighty Ducks / Herbie ones are a bit neglected.
0 permalink
10/2/2012 12:00 PM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

I need to start paying more attention to this thread now that we are discussing next years holidays.. :0/

--

Next Trips:

0 permalink
10/2/2012 12:01 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Frollo Wrote:
now that we are discussing next years holidays.. :0/

That's what I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!
You know where to come for all advice you'll ever need!!!
Don't let us down now, will you?! LOL!
edited by DisneyDan on 10/2/2012

--

Dan.
0 permalink
10/2/2012 12:32 PM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Haha.

Like I said before SHE wants to go, me.. I'm still debating it.

Looks like WDW will be the winner though, just when to fit it in though...

Will probably be Halloween..

--

Next Trips:

0 permalink
10/2/2012 12:34 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Hooray! We have a convert! LOL! :P
DO IT!!!! :P
Yes, I am a bad influence. I take no responsibility for anything you may end up booking as a consequence! :P
Hey, look at Rune, I encouraged her to go, and even told her where to stay - and she had the best time ever! LOL :P
(yes, I am taking all the credit for that. Though had it been a disaster, that would have been a different matter!! hahaha :P )
edited by DisneyDan on 10/2/2012

--

Dan.
0 permalink
10/2/2012 12:41 PM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Were the parks busy when you went this year?

--

Next Trips:

0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 |