Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General News and Discussion » Costume Department

Post-a-picture threads, scrapbooking ideas, general polls, photography tips, general chit-chat and more!
the topic is closed |
4/15/2013 2:06 PM
MickeyMouse88
Mickey Mouse
MickeyMouse88

Anyone know who and where the costumes are made? I know Magic Kingdom has an underground costume department, but are the character ones like the Mickey Mouse heads, Goofy, Timon, Pooh, etc....Are those all done on the property of each park? Or are they done in CA and shipped to the other parks? I know most theme parks like Six Flags, and Universal's costumes are contracted out to outside companies.

P.S.
Has anyone ever wondered how many official Mickey costume heads exist in the world...Between Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Disney On Ice, etc. it's bound to be a ton. Also, when Mickey wears hats, are those separate heads, or are they placed onto existing heads?
edited by mickeymouse88 on 4/15/2013
0 permalink
4/15/2013 2:58 PM
360 Degrees of Disney
Peter Pan
360 Degrees of Disney

they are mostly made at WDW
0 permalink
4/15/2013 5:03 PM
MickeyMouse88
Mickey Mouse
MickeyMouse88

Are the onces for disneyland made there too?
0 permalink
4/15/2013 5:44 PM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

Almost all of the character costumes are made at WDW
0 permalink
4/24/2013 12:18 AM
matchbook213
Mickey Mouse
matchbook213

wow, no one else on here has anything to add? I find that hard to believe
0 permalink
4/24/2013 9:40 AM
StarrySeas
Minnie Mouse
StarrySeas

Wow, I guess I've never really thought about how many Mickey's there are around the world. When I'm at Disney World and I see him in the parade or at a Meet-and-Greet station, in my mind, that's it! That's Mickey! But if I had to take a wild stab at a numerical guess...between all the parks and cruises and costume changes....100? More? I'm not sure, lol!

I'm glad Disney makes all of their costumes at a central location in WDW, though. It provides for a high level of quality control and easy ensurance that every Mickey looks the same, obstensibly ensuring that there is only "one" Mickey. I was in NYC this past weekend, and my husband and I stopped into the Disney Store there in Times Square. Sadly, it was under renovation, so it wasn't the grand, two story shop we were hoping for, but I'm sure it will be amazing when it's complete! Outside on the street, there were dozens of street performers dressed as various cartoon characters, including Mickey and Minnie. The costumes were just awful. The proportions were all wrong and they looked dirty and really the only thing that made them look like the famous duo was that they were black mice in red outfits and there were a boy and a girl. It was really sad to see people giving them cash to get their kids' pictures taken. Especially because Disney does go so far and does so much to preserve the magic of getting to meet their chracters, and make them real.
0 permalink
4/24/2013 2:25 PM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

matchbook213 Wrote:
wow, no one else on here has anything to add? I find that hard to believe

Haha, theres really not much else to add. Just about all the character costumes worldwide are made at WDW. Sometimes parade costumes are made on site but that's about it.
0 permalink
4/30/2013 2:14 AM
matchbook213
Mickey Mouse
matchbook213

Anyone ever seen any concept art or proof of concept for new or refurbished characters??
0 permalink
5/5/2013 12:11 PM
castanon
Mickey Mouse
castanon

I am an Anaheim costuming cast member and while there is much I can't say I will say that we have a facility in California that makes our character costumes, but we also get some from Florida. Of course I am supposed to agree that there is only one Mickey Mouse and with Disney magic he is able to appear all of the world but the guess of 100 is a cute underestimation. California alone has more than that.

All of Mickey's hats are seperate from his head, just like a hat you would buy at the store. How easily some of them can be removed is a different story. Even with all the resources Disney has, I have come across this site because we don't have good pictures of many of our costumes and I have used the pictures on this site to help make signs for our special event costumes.

By the way in case any one was wondering Mickey Mouse has a very vast closet, here alone he has over 100 complete different looks that are used for special events all the time.
+1 permalink
5/5/2013 12:21 PM
RogerDreamfinder
Chip 'n' Dale
RogerDreamfinder

The question I have is: if you look on certain sites or places, can you get some retired parts? On Ebay I found old props from Toontown Fair, including a Mickey Glove doorknob and pieces from Mickey's roof.

--
My only purpose in life is to make people LAUGH! -Roger Rabbit

"One little spark lights up for you!" -Dreamfinder
0 permalink
5/5/2013 2:48 PM
castanon
Mickey Mouse
castanon

Some things they sell, it depends on what it is though. If a costume, prop or scenic item is something that might ruin the magic if it got out to the public then they won't sell it, they will incinerate it. We have a company store that they sell things to cast members who then sometimes sell it on the internet.

My television is one I bought when they rennovated one of the hotels. When I bought that there were several lamps, beadspreads and other hotel items that were unique and mickey themed. Coffee tables in the shape of mickey ears were sold. I have also seen many parade dancer costumes sold as well. They sold a Dopey coat that was from the Snow White musical that used to be in the park but they would never sell a Dopey coat that is worn by the character in park.
0 permalink
7/12/2014 12:59 AM
Viniciusaugusto
Mickey Mouse
Viniciusaugusto

Here's the link of the facily in California that makes the disney's character costumes, universal studios, etc
http://www.customcharacters.com/content/view/3/28/
Hope you enjoy it!
Bye 👋✌️
0 permalink
7/12/2014 5:33 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

If you want specifics, the main facility at WDW for costumes is at Disney Hollywood Studios. Even though it's not an actual functioning studio anymore, they still have most (if not all) the resources to make and design costumes. You can see a brief view on the Backlot Tour.
0 permalink
the topic is closed |