Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW General Discussion and Trip Planning » WDW Star Wars Weekends Trip Report

Discuss Walt Disney World character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
pages: 1 2 3 4 .. 8 |
5/24/2014 4:18 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

A long long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Oh come on, you knew this would be coming. Big Grin

Let me tell you a tale full of magic

and Pixie Dust.

A tale of dashing heroes

villainous villains (some of them still in hiding)

and a lot of others friends we met on the way.

+1 permalink
5/25/2014 4:45 AM
DisneyDuckLover
Thumper
DisneyDuckLover

Oh hell yizzils this is what I'm talking bout! I'm so excited Big Grin

--
Blog: http://DisneyDuckLover.blogspot.co.uk
Twitter: www.twitter.com/DisneyDuckLover
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/disneyducklover/
--
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR PHOTO UPDATES OF MY TRIPS TO THE PARKS!
0 permalink
5/25/2014 6:37 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Looking forward to reading Petra! 😃

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
0 permalink
5/25/2014 8:02 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

I've got a RAD feeling about this...
0 permalink
5/25/2014 10:14 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

So many compliments and I've only posted photos. Blush
0 permalink
5/25/2014 10:59 AM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

YES YES YES YES CANNOT WAIT :p

Can't wait to watch this topic Big Grin

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

Next Trip: Halloween at DLP

Follow my twitter @MitchellDisney for tweets!

Please check out my YouTube channel! https://t.co/8wbANN35lK including Vlogs from my Disneyland Paris holidays!
0 permalink
5/25/2014 11:21 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 1 part 1: Travel

The airport pick up arrives way, way too early. *yawns* Even a 10 AM flight requires pick up around 6 AM here, quite similar to Disney Transportation in Florida. At least traffic is smooth and I have enough time for breakfast after dropping off my bags. Or so I thought.

I march to the check in counter, hand the young lady working for Delta my papers and tell her I want to drop my bags. She gets this really weird look on her face and tells me my flight is delayed by three hours. Say that again?!?!? EEK!

Of course I don't have the Delta flight plan memorized, but I remember enough to know that this would make things very, very unlikely they'd get me out of Atlanta the same day. "The flight can't be late, I got a Frozen FP+ at 9.10 AM tomorrow!" She looks at me like I have three heads. Great Petra, spoken like the Disney geek that you are. Never mind you're meeting Sabrina in Atlanta to join her for the connecting flight, never mind that the rental car is in your name, Sabrina won't get it and that's our chosen method of transport to the resort, never mind that Sabrina will be worried sick in the first place... of course your Frozen FP+ is the most important thing in the world right now. Bit Wonky..

The Delta supervisor however seems to understand and tells the woman to try and find a way to rebook me. Eventually she does - on a flight through Detroit that actually gets me to Orlando over an hour before the Atlanta flight if everything goes well. Thank god I had paid to upgrade for Economy Comfort or whatever that's called with Delta now. Economy passengers all had to wait and due to my early arrival I was the last Economy Comfort passenger who could be rebooked. They promise me to leave a note for Sabrina in Atlanta. I send a quick text to her and race to the gate.

The flight itself is pretty uneventful, I even manage to nap a little - which rarely happens when I am flying. However, Detroit Airport is another story. If you ever had the burning desire to get to know that airport: Trust me, so not worth it. In addition, they have the slowest immigration control I ever experienced in my life. They even beat out LAX, and that was when our plane there was delayed and we hit ground at the same time as a flight from Tokyo and one from Singapore. So despite having over 2 hours to connect I managed to get to hear a tannoy announcement for the first time ever: "You are now delaying the departure of your flight." Yes, I know. I also told the people patrolling at immigration and security. Unfortunately neither of those four seemed to care and refused to pull me out of line. Once out of line I can only run as fast to the tram stop (terminals in Detroit are connected by little monorails) as my legs allow me.

I barely make it, am stuck in a middle seat and in flight entertainment is out of order. But at least I am on my way to Orlando.
edited by Vala on 5/25/2014
0 permalink
5/25/2014 11:43 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 1 part 2: Arrival

First thing I see when entering the main terminal in Orlando are a Disney Store, an Universal Studios store, a Sea World store and a store with merchandise from the Kennedy Space Center side by side. They really make sure to get their money there. Big Grin

And in the Disney Store I even find the first couple of pins I need, even a Pascal Hidden Mickey - yay! Yes, I ran to the store first before getting my bag. Anything weird about that? *whistles*

I get the bag and then go to settle everything with the rental car. We've rented through Firefly which we never used before. Takes a little longer, but hey, it's the girl's first week and we all have trouble adjusting to new computer systems. Plus I still have to wait for Sabrina anyway and there seem to be major problems in Atlanta. There's three Delta flights from there arriving almost simultaneously, thankfully hers is the only one that's not delayed. I guess that may still be the aftermath from whatever caused my three hours delay?

Finally I have the papers and after plopping down for some rounds of Pet Rescue I have phone reception too. Of course there's several worried messages from Sabrina cause the message was not delivered as promised. Figures. I sure hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Eventually she makes it, we get her bag and trod off to the car rental lot - only to find the parking space where our car's supposed to be empty. Oh come on now. We're two jetlagged tourists and want to hit an outlet before we crash, be a little nice to us. I'm just grateful that the Firefly lot is pretty small (we had made sure to rent from a company in the terminal) and an attendant catches our confusion. He swaps cars quickly and we're on the way to the outlet with a nice white Ford Focus.

There's not much to say about the outlet. It's mostly outdoors. It's got a Disney Store Outlet too and that's pretty much where my part of the visit takes place. When the supposedly female obsession with handbags and shoes was distributed I was somehow skipped. The one shoe store I visited (and that because of necessity) couldn't even help me. Shopping done, quick dinner done (Subway for me... I know, I know. Very classy.) and we're on our way to our home for the next week, Disney's Old Key West Resort.

Check In Area:

The resort's store:

The alley with the storefront:

OKW is a DVC resort. It's done in the Old Key West style with several smaller buildings and pretty impressive landscaping. It's also pretty easy to get lost there though if you're not used to the style. Big Grin

Some more resort photos:

One of the restaurants.

We're in a room with two double beds:

The famous towel animals:

The patio - we had a ground floor room.

The so not spectacular view - and that generator was really loud one night for some reason.

And our kitchen:

Finally off to bed. I'm Magic Kingdom bound tomorrow, Sabrina is heading for Epcot.
edited by Vala on 7/18/2014
0 permalink
5/25/2014 1:58 PM
DisneyDuckLover
Thumper
DisneyDuckLover

I need morreeeee

--
--
0 permalink
5/26/2014 11:55 AM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

Loving it Petra Big Grin

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

Next Trip: Halloween at DLP

Follow my twitter @MitchellDisney for tweets!

Please check out my YouTube channel! https://t.co/8wbANN35lK including Vlogs from my Disneyland Paris holidays!
0 permalink
5/28/2014 7:18 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 1: Magic Kingdom Welcome Show

I'm Magic Kingdom bound this morning, Sabrina is heading for Epcot.

When I'm dropping her off at the Boardwalk for her breakfast at Kouzzina I'm getting my first lesson in driving at WDW. If you're following the sign with the park's name only you'll end up on the park's parking lot. Any hotel and you need the "resort area" exit. But we make it - she's only slightly late for her breakfast, and I am still able to catch the first Express Monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

This is the sign that greets me upon leaving the Monorail.

Can you believe I never got a better picture? I decided to post it anyway because the background gives a hint of signs to come.

I like the set up at WDW. The entrance gates make everything look a lot more open than at DLR or DLRP, but of course that comes with the location. I can also confirm that those Magic Band readers are really some work - you need to align the Mickey heads very exactly or it won't work. In the end I usually took off the Magic Band so I didn't create a backlog.

The train station:

Almost there...

The Mayor comes out the welcome everyone

and is joined by some citizens who perform a little dance routine.

Meanwhile I notice the congestion on the right entrance is getting more and more dense. Okay, so that is the first step of the famous Frozen stampede then. Maybe it's not a bad idea after all to stop at the Fire House to get some Sorcerer of the Magic Kingdom cards. When the FP+ starts at 9.10 AM you don't have to be there at 9.11 AM, right?

Then the train pulls in

carrying a lot of our friends, including the most adorable cowboy chipmunks ever.

Seriously, how can I kidnap those two and get them to the parking lot without creating too much suspicion? Big Grin

Of course kids go to the front, I don't mind that. But really, if you are the size of an average basketball player and are not running after a kid of yours... can you please watch where you're going? I had the perfect spot for Tiana and the munks, but that is the best Alice picture I got "thanks" to some people repeatedly stepping in front of my camera. No, really, I assure you the large zoom lens is just there for decoration! ><

Everyone waves good bye and the park is officially open.

I decide to really stop at the Fire House and pick up those cards (that I never got to play due to circumstances is a completely different story). Then I have a slight change of heart. My DLR tradition is to always go and visit Tink first. The Magical Nook is still on the schedule, sooo... let's follow tradition and see how long the line is. I still got 5 minutes before that FP+ even starts. Off to Adventureland!

edited by Vala on 5/28/2014
0 permalink
5/29/2014 4:20 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 2: From Pixie Hollow to Arendelle

When I arrive at Tink's Magical Nook the waiting sign says 25 minutes and it's 10 minutes before the fairies are due to start meeting. I can live with that, that will work out fine for the Frozen FP+ timewise.

You can tell the waiting area is a former restaurant, but it's nicely decorated with pictures of various areas of Pixie Hollow and also has a large screen with fairy cartoons playing.

21 minutes later I walk through the arch to Pixie Hollow.

And one minute later I am standing in front of a fairy friend I hadn't seen in ages: Vidia is meeting!

To say I am happy is a complete understatement. I haven't seen Vidia in three years - last year in California I was told she wasn't meeting them anymore.

Vidia is very impressed I have managed to draw her and calls Tink over. Petra = mistress of bottleneck creation.

Then she demands to know why I haven't brought her one to keep. Oops. Here we go again. She actually had asked me three years ago and I had promised her one, but didn't find her last year so I still had it. But at that time it was residing in the hotel room cause I had packed light. The day had storm warnings and as you know, water and paper don't mix too well. So I was trying to be careful and had packed light. I have to promise her to get it to her as soon as I can. I'll definitely try, but it may help if the fastest fairy of Pixie Hollow is slowing down a little so I can actually catch her. Big Grin

Tink loves her drawing too, but is way more impressed with the green sharpie I brought.

On the way to Fantasyland I check the MyDisneyExperience App. Maybe I can squeeze a meet with the Fairy Godmother in on my way to Princess Fairytale Hall. It doesn't seem she's on the schedule today and it's almost 10 AM anyway. So off to use the probably most covered FP+ in WDW right now: I will be meeting Anna and Elsa from Frozen.

When I arrive at the FP+ reader I got to admit I am slightly worried. The app says everything is alright with that precious FP+, but there's so many horror stories online. If that light doesn't turn green I'll probably start to cry. At that point the standby time is 270 minutes, so that panic when the FP+ went online definitely was worth it. The light turns green and I am granted access. The only stop is at the second FP+ reader where you have to wait for another CM to fetch you. So not very impressive sight when waiting.

I barely have time to take one more photo

and then I am whisked away to meet Anna and Elsa. Getting into the room takes barely more than two minutes and then I'm in for a slight wait in the actual line in the room. Again lately some complaints have turned up that there's no real interaction with the two girls anymore. I really can't confirm that, not at all.

I didn't really pay attention to this when I met the fairies - way too excited about Vidia - but the characters even come up to you and walk you to their meeting spot. I can't recall having experienced this before at any other park. For the duo Elsa is welcoming the visitors while Anna is seeing the previous group off to meet Aurora.

Both are all over my drawings just like Tink and I admit I am positively beaming when Elsa says: "They really should hire you here. Your drawings are better than the one they sell in the store outside."

Well I guess that's possible. The Pixar style isn't the easiest to get close to in hand drawn sketches, and heaven knows dear Elsa is the female Flynn Rider. I don't know how many attempts I discarded before I finally got her nose right!

The fact that I had added Olaf on Elsa's drawing starts up a very lively discussion about how to safe Olaf's nose from Sven. Apparently there was an incident with a chocolate fountain at the last ball. Big Grin

Top notch, very happy and definitely worth "sacrificing" a FP+. Always makes me laugh when someone asks this on a forum. You want to meet the girls? "Sacrifice" or 4.5 hours in line, your choice. Seeing all other FP+ had plenty of availability even day of that "sacrifice" doesn't seem too bad to me.

Aurora is lovely as ever, though I do feel quite a sting when the group in front of me simply walks past her. It's certainly not easy sharing the spot with the Frozen phenomenon. She asks where I am from and when I tell her "Germany" she asks about the dragon situation. When I assure her it's under control she contemplates taking Philip for a vacation there, that way he wouldn't be compelled to run off and save the day. Big Grin

When I leave the character meet I end up in a mob scene in Sir Mickey's. They're putting new Animator Frozen dolls on the shelves. Or maybe I should better say "they're trying to" - most of the dolls don't even make it close to the shelf space before being ripped out of the CM's hands.

I get out of there as fast as I can and start looking for the New Castle Wall - I am so ready to meet the Tremaines!
edited by Vala on 6/13/2014
+1 permalink
5/30/2014 12:59 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 3: Adventures in New Fantasyland

There's lots of wall parts that could qualify as "New Castle Wall" and I end up at the Tea Party checking for Alice first because 7 CMs keep pointing me in 9 different directions. *sighs*

No Alice, but when I venture back I bump into Lady Tremaine and the Stepsisters who are heading for a morning spin on the Carousel.

I have no clue how Anastasia managed that... I can barely get on the horses the right way cause my legs are way too short! Big Grin

I swear I would have helped, but I was at the wrong side of the fence.

Lady Tremaine really wasn't pleased with Drizella. *g*

The CM watching them finally points out their actual meeting spot to me - success!

They're quite impressed by my drawings. Lady Tremains commisions a family portrait, but her daughters have different ideas. Drizella takes me aside and asks if I can do a grafitti of them on the castle wall, complete with "We are watching you!" for Cinderella. Deal - I'll get the paint, you distract the guards. Big Grin

Alice must be running around with the White Rabbit cause she's definitely not where she's supposed to be at that time. Oh well, I still have plan B. Actually that would be plan G... can you guess? Big Grin

The ever charming Gaston has already drawn a sizeable line and I barely make the cut off. He's also very impressed about his drawing - I made sure to pick the right pose there.

"How does it feel to be the third best looking person in this picture?" Dear sir, I am just glad you have a line this time and I don't have to chase after you in this humidity. I got to be in a picture with you, that's what counts. Big Grin

Still no Alice, looks like I missed her last set. That or she isn't out. From time to time there's clouds appearing in the sky that look pretty scary. I don't have that much time anymore anyway, I have a lunch reservation at Crystal Palace to meet Pooh and his friends. I should have just enough time to catch my favorite munks. I did leave enough time to make any munk napping attempt unconnected to the squealing person in front of the train station, did I?

I'm slightly sidetracked on my way though. Tiana is out. Hmm... the app showed her meeting with Naveen in the evenings, but the line isn't really long and before she gets away...

She's sweet and charming as usual. She starts laughing when the CM points out my shirt.

I show her my drawing I had done of her and Naveen and she confirms he'll be out with her after the parade. Strike! Big Grin

And now on to the cutest cowboys in all of Frontierland - sorry Woody!

Their line is moving really slow because the chipmunks are playful as always. And the line being in the sun really doesn't make waiting easier. Just when it's my turn their handler asks if I'd mind waiting, they need to go off for an acorn break. Umm... okay, I'll come back Monday then - I'm already going to be late for that Crystal Palace reservation, I can't risk being more late. She speaks to the munks quickly and tells me to run in. I guess I should have warned her that "Petra meets the munks" rarely ends quickly even if the human half is trying. Angel Wings

First they can't get enough of their Rescue Rangers drawings in honor if the new movie and the ones of them in pirate outfit

then they spot my Dale camera bag from Tokyo Disneyland.

Chip is a little mad that I have a Dale bag and not a Chip bag. I suggest that I'll happily get a Chip bag in addition if he buys me another camera. Unfortunately acorns are not an accepted payment method at Best Buy, so I get a hug as apology because he can't help me there.

Everybody smile!

I swear I tried to make this quick. Really. When I try to run off Chip has different ideas even, takes me on my arm and walks me all the way over to their break room.

How long was WDW's grace period for meals again? Big Grin
0 permalink
5/30/2014 4:12 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 4: Lunch at Crystal Palace

When I race over to Crystal Palace a text by Sabrina reaches me. Storm in Epcot, could be reaching Magic Kingdom soon. Okay, I guess that means I'll be eating a little longer than planned. Just when I pass the bridge a photographer spots my shirt, chuckles and calls me over: "Have you ever kissed a frog?" Well I would have, but the princess got there first. Big Grin

So she has me pose for a shot which turned out pretty well if you ask me. Big Grin

I'm almost 15 minutes late, but the ladies at Crystal Palace tell me I haven't lost my reservation.

Winnie the Pooh and his friends are having one big celebration.

I love the topiaries.

The set up of the restaurant reminds me a bit of Plaza at DLR with the huge windows and similar furniture. The main difference is the food though. Plaza Inn character breakfast has basically highschool cafeteria food where I usually live of fresh fruit, but the food here is actually delicious.

Some food pictures:

Yukon Mashed Potatoes and especially those Cheese Pirogies - to die for. I eat so much of those that I almost skip dessert.

Eeyore reaches my table first. I really like it that pretty much every character has a handler or someone is close by, that makes it way more easy to get a photo.

Eeyore puts extra effort in signing his drawing - thank you Eeyore.

Next up is Pooh, sweet and cuddly.

Piglet is only a couple of steps behind him. When I ask him to sign his drawing he completely flips. Runs off to show it to everyone, then hugs it and won't let go. "Well if you like it that much please keep it." Some sign language translation of his assistant later Piglet understood that I am giving him a present and now hugs me like he'll never let me go. He insists on me signing the drawing for him

and then signs a second one for me. Smart artists always have a backup. Big Grin

His handler assures me: "You made his day." I couldn't help but notice. *g * My server asks "I didn't know you were giving those away." Well if I have Piglet who's normally so shy asking of course I am giving them away.

Tigger goes on a break before it's my turn, so... Cheese Pirogies here I come again. Suddenly darkness falls. Help, who turned off the light? Tin Foil Hat I look out and a monster storm is hitting. EEK! Lightning strikes. I must have flinched or something because Piglet comes over and tries to protect me, even pretending to hide with me under the table. Thank you sweetie, I'm alright - I just didn't think the storms they warned me about could show up that much out of the blue.

Tigger comes up after a while, happy and bouncy, trying to cheer me up.

When I finally leave I bump into Piglet's handler and she thanks me again. My pleasure, really. *blushes* The rain is still coming down, but nowhere as bad. Of course all characters have fled. Wet fur is a bad, bad thing.

I go to City Hall to check if I can get a Disability Pass here too. Wasn't really counting on it cause I had heard the WDW rules are much stricter, but I am being granted one.

Trying to be artsy when walking back to the castle:

Stormy weather!

Random park shots. Inclement weather still seems to be looming. All meets closed, Dream along with Mickey cancelled.

The new circus area:

I really wanted to meet our friends in their new Circus costumes. Stuntman Goofy, Snake Charmer Donald, clairvoyant Daisy and dog artist Minnie. But the wait time at that point is over half an hour and that leaves me too little time. I have another FP+ for the parade and I am pretty sure I should get there a little earlier than on the schedule. I do another round for characters before it's really time to get in line.

Merida's meet.

Little Mermaid ride.

I also stop at Princess Fairy Tall Hall quickly to check on something the CM giving me my handicapped pass told me. Yes, the pass is indeed valid for all character meets that have FP+. Now that is unexpected. The lady at the princess meet confirms I heard correct, but seems slightly surprised when I ask for a slot for Rapunzel and not the Frozen girls.

The check in starts at 2.45 PM according to my FP+, but when I arrive at the area at 2.30 there's quite a line already. Once I'm in I rush over to the area opposite of the bridge to Liberty Square. That's always been recommended to me, and oddly enough no one is standing there yet.
0 permalink
5/30/2014 4:48 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 5: Festival of Fantasy Parade

Only two others join me in the area, a nice pin collector with his wife and another photographer. That's odd. Okay, taking pictures in that position is difficult due to the light, but it still gives a great view I think. Oh well. At least no one will kill my sunglasses again like in Paris.

At 3 PM we get an announcement. "Parade delayed due to inclement weather." Oh please don't. Not a parade cancellation on my first day. *lower lip quivers*

We're lucky - although there's even more clouds coming from the Epcot direction that look pretty bad - the parade starts!

So now on to my favorite part of any trip report... the traditional parade picture spam! The Wave

I know people don't really like the Naveen+Tiana/Frozen part turning. I can see where they are coming from, but as you see from these shots as long as you are willing to crane your neck a bit you'll see both parts.

The first float has just passed when I feel the first raindrop on my skin. No, please no. Just 10 more minutes.

I just barely manage to snap the abobe photos, after the bridge to Liberty Square they pull everyone on foot from the parade.

Either put Peter on something or lower the sail. Grrr.

Meanwhile it's pouring with heavy side winds. The picture of Merida gives you a pretty good idea.

Her majesty, the real ruler of New Fantasyland... the Dragon!

And the final float. I apologize I have no close ups there, but all I have are pretty much shadows against the storm clouds.

I scatter to safety along with everyone else as soon as the last float has passed. Granted I have that Fairy Tale Hall reservation, but the guy at City Hall told me it works exactly the same as in Disneyland, it doesn't matter if I am a few moments late. I certainly don't want to drown on my way to see Rapunzel.
0 permalink
5/31/2014 2:46 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 6: A Disney Afternoon

10 minutes after my reservation time the heavy rain still hasn't stopped. I wrap my poncho around me and run from my hiding spot to the Fairy Tale Hall as fast as I can.

Surprise at the Fairy Tale Hall though. They're hearing nothing of what City Hall told me. "You're late. You can't be late. Why are you late?" Even a supervisor is called. >< Well I am truly sorry (for real) that I listened to City Hall. I kind of thought they knew what they were doing. But even if they hadn't given me wrong info: have you looked at the sky lately? At that point I am standing in the entry way soaking wet and have already left a puddle the size of Lake Erie because water is dripping from me like crazy. It's not that I was chit chatting away somewhere and forgot the time, you know. After I make a point in removing my poncho to shake the water off I'm being let in after all.

Rapunzel is happy to meet a fellow artist and we spend a few minutes discussing different coloring techniques.

Cinderella is more quiet, but seeing I kind of look like a drowned chipmunk I am certainly not going to blame her for trying not to get too close.

After City Hall my next regular FP+ reservation is up: Enchanted Tales with Belle.

If you like characters that's another FP+ that is well spent in my eyes. The line was 70 minutes at that point. With the FP+ I waited less than 10, and that was of course because you have to wait for the ongoing performance to finish before you're being let in.

Once you're in you find yourself in Maurice's workshop, and through an enchanted mirror you enter the Beast's castle. It’s the day Belle and the Beast fell in love. Lumiere and Madame Wardrobe are planning a surprise for Belle – a play of the tale of her story. Audience participation requested.

Madame Wardrobe does the casting, with the help of a CM. Some roles like the Beast or Maurice are portrayed by kids, but they are casting some adults too. My friends had predicted I’d be Mrs Potts for sure if I get picked. Let’s face it, I would so not pass as Lumiere. LOL But apparently my hopping isn’t impressive enough with the camera and the backpack. However, when Madame Wardrobe herself is cast, that’s a different story. I’ll blame the fact that I was the only one actually making noises when “singing” and not the fact that I spent too much time with the Stepsisters and sounded suspiciously like them for getting chosen. Big Grin

It’s a cute little play that lasts a few minutes. At the end all actors get to meet Belle, received a special commemorative bookmark from her and get their photo taken.

When I’m out Sabrina has messaged. She’s on her way, we’re hoping to catch the Frontierland Hoedown.

After some waiting at Country Bear Jamboree it’s obvious that the Hoedown is another weather victim. We browse through some shops, then stop at Tiana’s Meet. After a while of waiting the CM informs us that she’s also not coming out due to the weather, maybe 6 PM. *peaks to the sky* Those clouds don’t look that threatening to me and they’d be in the gazebo, but what do I know. Back to Frontierland, but the second set isn’t happening either. So we quickly visit a performance of the Country Bear Jamboree show. Yes, it’s my first time ever in WDW and my first attraction is the Country Bear Jamboree. And it’s almost 6 PM. Sue me, I’m a tourist. Green Tongue

It’s almost 6 PM when we get out. We have a 1900 Park Fare reservation for 7.15 PM. That’s just enough time to get in line for Tiana and Naveen – provided they appear. Sabrina runs off quickly while I wait. Some growling in the distance. Please let that be from one of the coasters. Please let that be coming from one of the coasters!!! Finally the duo appears… yay! Granted we could have tried again as they usually appear in the evenings. But as silly as it sounds, I really wanted a photo with Naveen when I am wearing this special shirt.

When it’s my turn something else causes a ruckus first though… the drawing.

After I had spotted Naveen showing in the app I wanted to do something really special to get signed. Him and Eric were the only two Princes I haven’t met again since I lost so much weight, and I got a really, really soft spot for Naveen. So I had done a drawing of the final “wedding scene” where Naveen introduces Tiana to his parents. It took me days, but I managed to get it just right.

I got it so “just right” that Tiana is convinced I am an animator who has worked on their movie.

Certainly isn’t easy talking her out of that, especially not with Naveen having caught onto my “real girls love frogs” shirt.

That’s worse than trying to be nice to both munks on the same level, paying attention to both of them. LOL Naveen won’t even believe I came up with this shirt idea myself. I even get a solo shot with him, he insists. And if a Prince insists…

Then I have to show off the backside of the shirt which says: “Surreal girls prefer alligators.” Tiana laughs and asks: “Who do you prefer?” Well you got to the Frog first, unless you’re up to sharing… But no, I’m happy with keeping the alligator. Big Grin

When they finally believe me I am from Germany and not an American Disney animator both start asking me about German phrases, differences between “good morning” and “good night” and stuff like that.

Finally Naveen asks: “How do you say most handsome, charming (insert list of compliments as long as my arm) prince in German?” I smile sweetly and tell him: “That’s easy, that’s the same word in any language. It is Naveen.” Everyone in earshot bursts out laughing. Tiana giggles and yells: “She got you! She got you really good!”

I didn’t get anyone! At least not on purpose. I can’t help it if the one brain cell still working comes up with a reply like that. Big Grin

Best. Princess Meet. Ever. Now excuse me while I melt into a puddle in the next corner.

When Sabrina gets back it’s just about our time to get on the way to the Grand Floridian: we have evening dinner with Cinderella booked at 1900 Park Fare. On the way out... same castle, little less amount of clouds.

0 permalink
6/2/2014 2:47 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 2 part 7: 1900 Park Fare

1900 Park Fare is one of the restaurants in the Grand Floridian - if you go in there you could almost think you are at the Disneyland Hotel in Paris.

When we enter the restaurant though I understand some of the comments I saw online saying it needed a refurb. Not that there was anything broken or alike, but the whole place just looks a bit dated. I realize it's supposed to be 1920 style with the carousel horses and such, but it's not looking the good kind of dated.

The first character to reach our table is Prince Charming. He's a little distanced and not very chatty, but who can blame him... the Stepsisters are in the same room. I know some males who would have fled the building. Big Grin Especially Anastasia just wouldn't let him out of sight.

Food pictures:

I had been warned the food was average at best by some people, but I'm with JJ - I like it there. The mashed potatoes are stunning just like at Park Fare, and I loved the Strawberry Soup.

Cinderella comes over next. Signing her drawing:

Lady Tremaine catches on to Cinderella trying to hire me to work in her castle and comes over to check and remind me that I was still due to do her family portrait. Hey, I can do waitlist - I'm flexible. Big Grin

Finally... the Stepsisters! They had been entertaining the whole place, so it took a while to get to our table. Drizella was over the moon that there was a little girl who was wearing her outfit just like her.

When we have finished jetlag has caught up with Sabrina and she tells me she'll go back to Old Key West if I want to hang out at the parks a little longer. Oddly enough I'm far away from jetlag... maybe my screwed up sleep rhythm is good for something eventually. So I get on the Monorail to get back to the parks.

Let's visit Tink again, maybe Vidia is switching off with another fairy friend. After minimal wait I walk through the portal and it's Vidia again.

Looking at other drawings:

For the love of everything shiny and fluffy, I swear I will get a drawing to you as soon as I can. There is one in the hotel, I just didn't get back yet. I'm not the fastest fairy, I have to go by car and that takes time. *nods nods*

And here's Tink - she likes looking at pictures too.

After that I manage to find at okay spot for Wishes on the walkway to Liberty Square. Probably not the best area, but seeing I walked right up I can't complain. It's Wednesday, so unfortunately no Main Street Electrical parade.

The park is getting more and more empty. I decide to walk around a little just going with the flow. While looking for the infamous Rapunzel restroom area I accidentally end up near Haunted Mansion which is showing a 10 minute wait. Oh well, why not. The 10 minutes turn out to be a walk on. It's going to sound funny, but can you believe that this is the first time ever I make it on the real Haunted Mansion? I only know the NBC Christmas overlay from California, and Phantom Manor in Paris is quite different. I loved it, loved it a lot.

On the way back I find the infamous Tangled restrooms, but my camera isn't really cooperating. So no pictures of the pretty lights.

Strolling around I get to the It's a Small World entrance. Completely empty. Hey, why not - you started your day with Country Bear Jamboree you may as well end it on Small World. Big Grin

That's not the end of the day in the end though. When I am walking back to the entrance I notice the Princess Fairy Tale Hall also has only 10 minute wait for Aurora and a visiting princess. I'm still wide awake, I may as well help closing the park. Big Grin

Portraits of my favorite princesses in the stand by line:

The visiting princess turns out to be Snow White.

She really likes her drawing and asks me if she can kiss it. Sure you can... I never tried how lipstick sticks to paper, but there's always a first time. So now I have a Snow White drawing with pretty impressive lipstick marks. Big Grin

That lighting in the hall is really beginning to annoy me. You have to be so careful to where you're standing. Half a step in one direction can give you completely different results. The above two pictures give a perfect example for that.

The lovely Aurora:

I stroll back through the stores and am leaving the park exactly at midnight. I managed to do an open to close - yay me! Big Grin

When I get back to Old Key West Sabrina is vast asleep. I retire quickly too - tomorrow (no, actually that would be in a little over 7 hours >< we're off to Hollywood Studios to attend the Rebel Rendezvous event!
edited by Vala on 7/10/2014
0 permalink
6/3/2014 1:58 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 3 part 1: At the Sorcerer Hat

Our first Star Wars day. Well, somewhat Star Wars. I'm still not fully sure what to expect of that Rebel Rendezvous thing.

Lines to get in when we arrive at 8.30 AM:

We had been toying with the idea of running over to Toy Story with the crowd before the event starts. But that's killed off by too many CMs with pin lanyards, a shopping visit at the pin store to get the new Ariel pin coming out that day and then finally... the characters at the Sorcerer Hat. Big Grin Yeah, I know - they move to Magic of Animation when Star Wars Weekends are on. But I doubt we'll have time tomorrow for anything non-Star Wars... I know I am glad if we even make everything Star Wars on the list. Plus right now I spot brown fur. Unless Tinker Bell has relocated from the Magical Nook to the Studios or we have Flynn Rider lurking around the next corner: Chipmunks win. Big Grin

Unfortunately said chipmunks go on a break before it's my turn, so I get to meet Goofy. Isn't he stylish?

Along with him the ducks came out - of course that means beeline to see Donald! Joel, I have an excuse - his line was shorter than Daisy's. Sabrina has meanwhile decided to go for Darth's Mall. She's picking up a pre-order for a friend, that understandably makes her a bit antsy in case there's a problem.

Then of course Daisy's next. She's checking out her drawing very thoroughly.

Dressed like the true diva that she is, right?

And a special for a certain someone...

I get in line for Goofy again, hopefully I can time it right for the munks. Sabrina texts - it looks like my fears about the Mall were partly right. Oh well. At least it doesn't seem I am missing much. I let two groups go in front, then the characters change.

Chipmunk love! In Love

Stitch is out too, but as he's got a long line and will likely leave before it's my turn I decide to go off to Darth's Mall too. We'll meet Stitch at Ohana after all for sure. And who knows, maybe those "surprises" at the event meanwhile materialized after all.
edited by Vala on 6/14/2014
0 permalink
6/3/2014 2:35 PM
DisneyDuckLover
Thumper
DisneyDuckLover

LOOOOOOOVE the duck pix especially Daisy, I love her yellow outfit. She wears one like that in one of my fav cartoons lol

--
--
0 permalink
6/4/2014 1:23 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 3 part 2: Rebel Rendezvous

First let me say that I was totally aware that Rebel Rendezvous was mainly meant to be a merchandise event centered around early access to Darth's Mall. BUT: The tickets for this cost a stunning $ 249. The flyers were promising "surprises" and "characters." I'm not mad that I spent the money. But did I get my money's worth from this? No.

Registration process is smooth, I'll leave them that.

However, Sabrina is already waiting for me and has noticed that they are charging her a shipping fee for a delayed items in her paperwork. Nope, I saw that e-mail too. They promised free shipping if you still want that item. So in line with customer service to get that fixed.

Inside... well Sabrina wasn't kidding when she messaged me that she's "seen everything" after 30 minutes. Shot of the sales floor:

Some stalls like D-Tech are there too.

But we already preordered name tags and if I put action figures besides my pin bags and vinyls I'm in trouble at home. Big Grin

I really love this baby, but the carry on limits and the hefty price tag don't allow it to come home with me.

At least I do find a very cute munks as Ewoks figurine. They had a photo of that one on the blog, but it hadn't been on the preorders. So I was kind of worried to get it - I really brought a bigger bag just for that baby. Big Grin Otherwise I can't say I'm that impressed with the merchandise. I will admit that for that price tag of the event I at least expected that they had either kept back some of the chipmunk Vinyls that came out the week before (no) or gave us access to the vinyls appearing throughout the course of Star Wars Weekends - no on that too. Erm... okay.

Finally we bump into characters: Stormtroopers on patrol.

Lines to pick up preordered merchandise and for check out are hellishly long. Plus they actually ran out of shopping baskets! We decide to try and kill some time. A couple of artists are there too and we end up chatting with some. Also the event manager of the whole thing has a couple of Hidden Mickeys on her lanyard. Pascal score now officially two. Big Grin

There's a backdrop too where first the Stormtroopers stop by:

We really were the only ones in line for them. ><

The manager tells us to hang around and really... Mickey and his friends show up!

Don't get me wrong. I know the chances to score that photo during regular Star Wars Weekends are pretty much zero, and I am very glad I got it. But still for an event with that price tag and "surprises" and "characters" advertised that isn't quite the level I was expecting. I mean, the last pin event in WDW with the Villains theme had Oogie Boogie appearing. Let me repeat that: Oogie Boogie! I had been hoping for some really elusive character like Han Solo who they had been trying to cast, or maybe the droids in addition to Mickey and friends. Maybe Chewbacca - he even showed up at the Paris Star Wars Pin Event! But no.

Here's a picture of one of the few good ideas they had, that one really made me chuckle. The Ackbar Snack Bar.

I can fully understand they were charging for the speciality drinks. But charging for snacks in addition to the $ 249 entry fee? Not impressed.

Sabrina has to get the framed set she got for our friend to the car, so she takes off while I am in line to pay for the rest.

Pictures taken when in line:

1 hour 40 minutes later I am finally ready to pay. And that really was when the line had died down a lot. No doubt Disney will consider that event a success - someone in front of me checks out with an over $ 7000 bill at one of the cash registers!

I fill in the paperwork to get my stuff delivered to the hotel and we set off for Toy Story Mania.
edited by Vala on 7/18/2014
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 .. 8 |