Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General News and Discussion » Lack of Characters from Recent Films?

Post-a-picture threads, scrapbooking ideas, general polls, photography tips, general chit-chat and more!
the topic is closed |
6/3/2014 7:29 AM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

Has anyone else noticed or know the reason for the lack of characters that appear in the park from more recent films. Looking at just Tangled and Frozen, only Rapunzel, Flynn, Anna and Elsa have ever made it to the parks. Compare this to Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin and you have Belle, the Beast, Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs Potts, Chip, Gaston, Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie, Jafar, Apu and now even the Sultan.

It seems, to me at least, that a lot more characters used to come to the parks than what do now. I even heard once that Mother Gothel was 'ready' to come to the parks but the parks managements decided against it.
0 permalink
6/3/2014 8:41 AM
MMDDGPCDC
Stitch
MMDDGPCDC

I remember reading that they decided not to use her so they gave the Costume to Disney on Ice. This may not be true but still quite interesting
0 permalink
6/3/2014 9:43 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

I wish I had a good answer for you but it has been this way for awhile... Pocahontas was the last non-Pixar movie I can think of that had more than three characters out for meet and greets in the park and even most Pixar movies have three or less. There are a lot of great characters I would love to meet but even hugely popular movies seem to be restricted to 2-3 characters :\

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
6/3/2014 4:56 PM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

The Princess and the Frog has Tiana, Naveen, Louis and Dr Facilier and is the most recent I can think of, other than that Pocahontas is the last with more then three I think. Even Pixar films seem to have less these days, Brave only had Merida and possibly arguably (does that even make sense haha?) Queen Elinor, Toy Story 3 only brought Lotso I think, Up and the Incredibles each had 3, Ratatouille 2.

Which characters that haven't made it to the parks do people think should? I'd have to go with Mother Gothel and Olaf for my top 2
0 permalink
6/3/2014 5:30 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

I forgot about the 4 for Princess and the Frog but even there Louis and Dr. Facilier were mostly used for shows initially (and Louis is rarely seen still) and actually Atlantis and Mulan had 4 as well (but again they all weren't out regularly for meet and greets) and Hercules had 6... so I guess it is just the most recent movies.

Others that should have been made into characters: Mother Gothel, Pascal (if Meeko and Mushu can be characters why not Pascal), Olaf, Kristoff, Sven, Fix-It Felix, John Silver

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
6/3/2014 8:08 PM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

I'd love to see Pascal, Olaf, Kristoff, Sven, Hans, Gothel, Dash and King Candy from the newer films.

Would also LOVE for them to bring in Owl, Kanga and Roo seperately, Pete, Mortimer Mouse and Lumpy

Although if any of these characters were made, they would never reach Paris

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

Next Trip: Photopass Day!

Follow my twitter @MitchellDisney for tweets!

Please check out my YouTube channel! https://t.co/8wbANN35lK including Vlogs from my Disneyland Paris holidays!
0 permalink
6/4/2014 5:45 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

I have a feeling we will see more Frozen characters.

Yes, I agree on the whole though that it is a shame that the number of characters is limited from the newer films. It dents mean we will never see them though. Just look at Cheshire Cat, Gauchito, Burrito, King of Hearts, Ugly Duckling who have all appeared way after their movie release.

Let us keep our fingers crossed!

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
+1 permalink
6/4/2014 6:42 AM
mattblack
Angel
mattblack

I think the reason is budgetary concerns. The 2000s weren't exactly a high point for Disney Animation, commercially speaking, and it was a startling contrast to the Disney Renaissance of just a few years prior. You had some successes, like Lilo & Stitch, but just as often you had films that got critical acclaim but not big box offices (Treasure Planet, The Emperor's New Groove), films that did well commercially but for one reason or another people talk smack about (Brother Bear, Chicken Little), or films that bombed both financially and critically (Home on the Range, looking at you). Combine that with the post 9/11 travel slump and the recession, one can see why park management has been reluctant to do a whole host of characters for a film that might not have staying power.

Now, however, Walt Disney Studios Animation has been on an upswing. It started slowly with Meet The Robinsons, Bolt, and the Princess & the Frog, and started really picking up steam with Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph, with Frozen so far being this generation's Lion King. If they can keep the momentum going, then the executives in charge of these sorts of decisions might begin to have a bit more faith.
+3 permalink
6/15/2014 5:53 PM
RogerDreamfinder
Chip 'n' Dale
RogerDreamfinder

Well.... I think it's mostly because a lot of the current characters weren't all that successful. Such films as Home on The Range, Treasure Planet and many others either didn't do quite as well or just straight up bombed at the box office. Except for more recent films like Wreck-it Ralph, Tangled and especially Frozen, the films seem to be doing much better and have been used more often.

--
My only purpose in life is to make people LAUGH! -Roger Rabbit

"One little spark lights up for you!" -Dreamfinder
+1 permalink
the topic is closed |