Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Disneyland Paris Discussion and Trip Planning » Indiana Jones Pin Event Report - July 2013

Discuss Disneyland Paris character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
pages: 1 2 |
8/1/2013 5:12 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 4 part 1: Heat

Sunday starts off similar to Saturday. Mickey and Minnie at Cheyenne, Donald and Mickey at Sequoia. Pluto is at Hotel New York.

I try for breakfast at Earl’s again, but this time I check my receipt. Same girl at cash register and again my Ham and Swiss has turned into Ham, Eggs and Cheese. Now what’s this about? I point it out, ask to be rung up new and she tells me she’ll “go and fix it”. The fix is she turns my sandwich into a “special order” and I get Ham and Cheese without the eggs, and without the sauce of the other sandwich. *rolls eyes*

At DLH I find Goofy who must have been sleepy or something...

When he turns around to hug me his snout collides with my head. I think my cap slowed the hit down a bit, but still it was quite an impressive thud. Now I know how poor Dale felt when Chip hit him with my folder. Ouch. *rubs forehead* Cue Goofy going into panic. You can tell there’s a really bad conscience there. I assure him I am alright. I guess I really am… my head’s throbbing a little, but at least I am not seeing stars. Plus if I make a big fuzz now that’s pretty much a guarantee that we’re one step closer to characters completely ignoring adults. That seems to be the latest trend now and I am surely not going to contribute to that.

The plan was to go and check out Pueblo Trading Post, but now of course I got to fulfill my promise with the Princess passes first.

On the way to the Pavilion I bump into Cinderella’s mice again.

Someone wants to rival Snow White for most meets this trip. Big Grin

I do make first spot in line. This time the CM decides to take my name and tells me to go off. Hopefully that works out.

My two new friends arrive as promised and we agree to meet at 10.50 AM at the entrance. Need to make sure we’re in time for the first slot – in the past it seemed Cindy and Aurora started off and the first switch is around 11 AM already.

I go to pick up the pass and as predicted… chaos. Mob scene everywhere, especially at the exit and the CMs have completely lost track. The CM insists no less than four times that he needs to put me on the list when I tell him I am already on… it would help if you lifted the tickets you put on top which are covering my name! >< Eventually I get our ticket and it is still the first slot. I really don’t know what I would have done if this had backfired due to the CMs.

The pickup seems to get worse every time I go. This time they at least left space for the long line waiting to get in the pickup area. However, several French join the end of the short line despite being told by the people at the beginning of the second part that the end of the line is way back at the entrance of the Storybook ride. Their response when others in line point it out? Mostly ignorance, but I also picked up a “I don’t care.” A couple of people in line tried to get a CM, and all they got in response was shrugging shoulders.

I realize that I am sounding like a broken record. But that procedure sure can’t be the solution for the Pavilion problems. Meanwhile people start lining up for tickets over 90 minutes early! And for the handicapped people it is outright dangerous, I am sorry to say that. You’ve all read how much I love Tiana in my past reports and my efforts to hunt her down. The main reason why I only went three times in four days this time because I was afraid of the scrums. And if you’ve read my other reports you know it means a lot when I am afraid of something! If it hadn’t been for the Auberge meet with the mom/daughter I wouldn’t even have gone the third time.

Once I have my ticket it’s only a couple of minutes, so I hang out near the ice cream cart… and Snow White walks in the Pavilion. Who would have thought. Thank god there's someone in a blue dress two steps behind her. Aurora. I don't think I ever was that happy to see a blue dress! That noise that was the mountain falling off my heart.

My new friends arrive (can you believe I was a complete idiot and never even asked their names?) and are just as happy as me.

When we are being led in I ask if we can please see Aurora. The CM consults with the supervisor and tells us “if she asks, you have already seen Snow White.” Oh honey, trust me on that, I have met Snow White. I have like a billion pictures to prove it.

Aurora is a very pleasant meet and seemingly happy about two joyful young ladies wanting to meet her.

Afterwards I ask “Do you want to see your photos?” and indeed the two do. What I didn’t expect though is the offer: “And please select the ones you want too, we’re paying for them.” EEK! You don’t have to, really. But they insist. So I end up with three Aurora photos anyway, even with the frames. We have quite fun 10 minutes keeping ourselves entertained because the photo transmission of the camera doesn’t work correctly. But in the end we all walk away happy – even the CM serving us is smiling cause I end up trading him a Tron pin he quite liked.

I bid goodbye to them for a while, but we agree to meet at the Carousel at 12 to see if we can catch Esmeralda.

No one at Small World gates, no one at Cowboy Cookout, no one randomly in Fantasyland. Of course that’s just my luck… no Esmeralda at the Carousel either. But at least I find my friends again and also get introduced to the father of the family who insists on shaking my hand and thanks me for helping “his girls”, going on how nice I am and that they hadn't experienced that often. I wish I could take that as a compliment he intended it to be, but I've really been just my usual self. That's more something negative about the others they have met.

When it’s clear that Esmeralda is not showing I bid them goodbye one last time and trot off to Pueblo Trading Post. Need to do some shopping, and with the heat rapidly increasing I guess I should go to the Inventions Brunch anyway. Flynn Rider and a/c sound like a combination that can’t be beat at the moment.

On the way to Pueblo I spot flashes going off near Colonel Hathi’s. Flashes? *goes off to investigate* I find a famous explorer I heard myths about… Safari Goofy! Yeehaw!

Pueblo is very busy, but I manage to do some shopping and also negotiate with a trader about the Gyro pin for Jon. That’s where I make the big mistake of the day though. I have this little drawstring bag, like a small satchel. That’s where I keep my CM traders in. Because it was so hot and I didn’t want to carry my large pin bag I had put some more expensive traders in there too. I pull these out when negotiating about Gyro and put the bag besides me.

You know where this is going, right? The "I have" turns into "I had." Next time I look the bag is gone. I swear it wasn’t more than 2 minutes where I was distracted. I am convinced someone saw me taking out the expensive stuff and thought they’d get away with more than the handful of trader pins that was inside. So at least I can tell myself how disappointed the person that took it must have been with the result of their theft! Mad What really annoys me though is that three minutes before I had been able to trade for the Witch pin JustAnotherDisneyDork is looking for and of course that pin was in the bag too! Grrr. Nothing was handed in of course. I was kind of hoping someone would claim they found the bag when they realized they didn’t get away with anything expensive.

I’m annoyed, I’m hot and hungry… so it’s Inventions time now.
edited by Vala on 8/1/2013
edited by Vala on 8/3/2013
0 permalink
8/1/2013 8:07 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Oh Petra, what a sad tale about the pins. I am completely put off from pin tradin events and pueblo from all the stories I hear!!

Great character pics though and I am glad you could help that family out

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
0 permalink
8/1/2013 4:38 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Thanks Martin. I can use a bit of pity. The reactions I got made me more sad than the theft. Most CMs so did not care. The attitude I got was "It's pins, you'll never see them again anyway. Why are you even bothering to report it?" Umm... because usually if someone is caught stealing they are removed from the parks? Whaaaaa? And because stealing is generally frowned upon? Not that I was expecting a manhunt or something like that. Just people at Pueblo keeping their eyes open a bit more maybe.

It was my own fault in the end, I had my warning with the large pin bag disappearing. But it honestly so did not occur to me that someone could get sticky fingers with that bag. The large event trading bag, the POMH pins yes - but a handful of cast traders? It's really sad how far things have come. I always felt pin events were more safe than pin trading nights (party due to the shopping lists), but that's long gone. Pueblo got on the bad list since my boyfriend got injured on the pin trading day there, he was pushed against a table and hurt his wrist. The Sundays after the event seemed okay so far, but looks like I need to reconsider that.

Things got a lot worse in general. Not only with the stealing. There seems to be a more and more unfriendly athmosphere towards the foreign traders, unfortunately also by the CMs. The general vibe from the crowd seemed better this time. But the cast vibe surely made up for that. We went for the PTN in June (the Pascal and Russell one... boyfriend's only comment was "people are animals!" for hours afterwards) and he picked up something there about the cast members refresh pin board being at the Indiana Jones event. So I brought my bag of spare cast pins. A lot of other traders were left dry. That's not something foreign traders usually carry around, at least not in huge numbers. I ended up sharing a number of my pins to help out and gave the girl that had her bag stolen one of my Tiana pins as a gift because everyone treated her so bad and I felt so sorry for her.

If they'd at least make official announcements (even in French only) that would give everyone a fair chance - though with the speaker system that's a matter of luck too. But to basically have to be in the right place at the right time when someone drops a hint to a local trader... doesn't seem right to me. Also CMs refused foreign traders board trades saying "we already have too many UK pins" or claiming the pin they was offering was not a jumbo (happened to Heike's son) or a case I personally experienced "not nice enough". I've seen it happen no less than four times that they accepted the same trade from a French trader. An UK trader told me they experienced the same.

I was quite happy boyfriend wasn't around in the end. That's one of his major pet peeves.

So yeah, I was really happy that I could help that family out. They seemed really annoyed and in definite need of pixie dust.
0 permalink
8/2/2013 1:53 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 4 part 2: Inventions part 1

I’ve said it on here before: I was pretty much on the verge of cancelling the brunch. I had attended with that theme a lot of times and well, technically I had used the budget at Auberge the night before. But at that point I was hot, I needed food and I wanted characters. The park was too hot and was lacking both food and characters – plus boyfriend convinced me on the phone that if I wanted to save budget I should just skip buying the photopass photos. And you know, he had a point with that. I had some pictures with all characters on my camera, I’d make do with those. So off to Inventions I am.

For the Rapunzel brunch it’s one of my usual seats again, across from the dessert buffet.

The first character to show up is… Goofy. He recognizes me from the morning incident and immediately starts signaling “are you alright? Does the head still hurt? Anything I can do?” Well if you ask me that way maybe you could turn off the heat… kidding, just kidding, really. I’m fine. I have you and other characters and food and a/c, I’m fine. Knowing my luck I am missing out on Esmeralda now, but I’m fine.

I barely have time to sit down when I spy brown fur. With suspicious colors attached to it. THE MUNKS FINALLY GOT COSTUMES FITTING THE THEME!!! Cue high pitched fangirl squee of doom. Oh dear, and I almost gave up seeing this! That would have so been Murphy’s Law!

Isn’t that the most adorable outfit ever?

Okay, okay. Yeah, I get your point. It is pretty close to Goofy’s jester outfit. But still I fell in love head over heels. Not that I wasn’t in love with the chipmunks before. Big Grin And as soon as they spot the shirt they are in love with me too.

Rapunzel and Flynn show up next before I even get the chance to get close to the food. Both are absolutely intrigued by their drawings (I knew it was worth the effort to add both Pascal and Maximus) and spend a good amount of time going through my pictures.

Flynn even decided I was worthy of the Smolder. Big Grin

0 permalink
8/2/2013 2:02 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 4 part 3: Inventions continued

Food. Yes, that was one of the reasons I actually came here – for a change. Big Grin

Pretty much all my favorite are back, the Chicken Korma, the Trifle and of course the Cheddar Potatoes.

I have to admit that it amused me insanely that the ice tower already had started melting – you could really see the water trickle down – despite all cooling efforts.

After Mickey visits

I am quite stunned because we have a new addition to the cast – Donald!

If this goes the same rate as for the munks he may eventually have a matching costume Easter 2015.

Unfortunately as you see on the pictures Inventions starts to get the same problem especially Café Mickey has – kids pushing in on your photo. The staff there was quite attentive and kept even physically shooing the kids back, but this particular boy just wouldn’t get the point and his father only stepped in after several minutes. Heaven forbid an adult gets attention from Donald! It wasn't even a case of being anxious to see Donald, he had just moved on from that particular table.

Minnie and Pluto complete the cast of characters.

Flynn and Rapunzel only showed up in my area once during the 1.5 hours I was there, but maybe they set the seating rotation that way now that they are only in each room once.

I decide to leave a little early… after May I have a slight Esmeralda trauma.
edited by Vala on 8/2/2013
+1 permalink
8/2/2013 4:54 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Awwww. How cute that Goofy checked up on you!!

Love the report!!

Also good to see Chip and Dale in new outfits, hopefully Donald will follow suit!!

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:

0 permalink
8/2/2013 6:22 AM
JustAnotherDisneyDork
Chip 'n' Dale
JustAnotherDisneyDork

How come you always get to choose which princess you see, I have never been given the choice and I have always asked and they just say 'Oh it is a surprise) :/
0 permalink
8/2/2013 6:47 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Frollo Wrote:
Awwww. How cute that Goofy checked up on you!!

Love the report!!

Also good to see Chip and Dale in new outfits, hopefully Donald will follow suit!!

I didn't even get first what Goofy was going on about until he stated rubbing his forehead. Big Grin Poor guy must have thought I was affected worse than I admitted earlier.

That was the first time ever I've seen Donald at the Rapunzel brunch. So taking the munks into account that's going to be a while until he gets a matching outfit, that is if he even stays around. I was wondering if they moved a Main Street appearance to Inventions because of the heat.

JustAnotherDisneyDork Wrote:
How come you always get to choose which princess you see, I have never been given the choice and I have always asked and they just say 'Oh it is a surprise) :/

As I mentioned I have a Handicapped Pass. With a handicapped pass you go through the exit, so you pass the computer screens of the photo shop and unless the screens are down you will see what princesses are there. That means the whole "it's a surprise" thing is out.

If you ask nicely they will normally let you choose then, especially if you mention you saw the other princess already. Sometimes they even ask you right off the bat if you've seen someone already. Once it even happened that we were asked "who do you want to see, Tiana or Belle?" - that infamous May squealing incident.

Hopefully next time you'll have a better experience. I've heard on a couple of other forums that some CMs in the regular line now at least ask if you've seen princesses before. Maybe they are at least trying to make an effort now.
0 permalink
8/2/2013 11:06 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

I LOVE Chip and Dale's outfits!!
(and great report as always, Petra )

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
8/3/2013 1:58 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Yeah, me too. The outfits are absolutely adorable. For that I'll forgive them the missing wardrobe during the wardrobe. I really went from "OMG how cute" to "OMG I almost missed this!!!!" within half a second. LOL
0 permalink
8/3/2013 4:36 AM
Mitchell
Tiana
Mitchell

Loving the report Petra,I'm sorry that your pins for stolen

--
Heya, I'm Mitchell!

Next Trip: Halloween to DLP

Follow my twitter @MitchellDisney for tweets!

Please check out my YouTube channel! https://t.co/8wbANN35lK including Vlogs from my Disneyland Paris holidays!
0 permalink
8/3/2013 4:48 AM
Jardisney
Minnie Mouse
Jardisney

Beatiful Your pictures Petra

--
Disney magic
0 permalink
8/3/2013 6:28 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 4 part 4: Family Reunion

Still no luck with her, but the Tremaines are near Auberge!

I am not lucky enough to catch Drizella, but the handler assures me they’ll be back in 15 minutes.

I go on a Fantasyland/Cookup tour and come up empty – don’t tell me I walked past Esmeralda again?! Again Hook and Smee are just finishing their set and while I see the Tweedles running off in the general direction of the Peter Pan ride I can’t locate them. Typical.

Coming back I not only find Drizella,

but also get to say hello to Lili from our Dreamers group in May. If you read this, hello again. *waves*

Going back to the Small World gates Alice and Hatter are out. In the blasting sun in front on the Small World entrance. Now is that where the Tweedles vanished too? Of course that makes sense putting everyone there and not in the area of the former meet and greet which would be at least somewhat shaded. *shakes had sadly*

It seems they are just about to wrap up their set, the Hatter announces they need to go back to Wonderland. No, please…. Not again!

I’m lucky for a change though… Hatter spots my drawing and they stop dead in their tracks. Phew. I’ve done a Christmas related drawing of them with the White Rabbit which they examine closely and then go through my folder too.

They particularly like my Tweedles picture, but I have to explain that so far they’ve been evading me.

Back to DLH for the Magical Moment.

Pinocchio, Gideon, Eeyore – plus Snow White and Dopey. All familiar faces, Then Rapunzel and Flynn appear on the balcony. I really thought those screams would bring the house down. Maybe my squealing is not that bad after all in comparison.

As you can imagine, the whole lobby pretty much turned into the practice venue for World War 3. Five bruises, and that is when I am just trying to get to Gideon and Pinocchio and away from where most people are!

I check back at Pueblo – most people gone and bag hasn’t been handed in. So much for the hope someone would “find” it when they realized it wasn’t anything valuable.

No more characters to be found anywhere, so I go on my usual ride round, started with Buzz.

At 6 PM I find myself in the Village. In the morning there had been an announcement that “Mickey and his friends and the cast from Buffalo Bills” would be out for a meet, all summer and that everyone was welcome. I half expected the parade they sometimes have having been expanded, but… nothing happens at all. I even ask at the show box office and all I get is blank stares. Maybe someone better gets their English translations right then? That was the excuse they gave me, really. First they claimed there was no announcement, then that I had understood it wrong. When I told them no, it was in English and I am pretty fluent in English the response was that maybe their English announcement was wrong then! (I ended up getting Haägen Dasz ice cream for dinner, I earned it after that headache this discussion had created.)

So I’m going to watch the parade after all. I can’t even tell you why I ended up trying to use the upstairs restrooms in DLH. In any case, walking past the Inventions area I see someone in front of California Grill. Chef Mickey! Huh??? He has a CM with him and I really expect to be told no, he’s there for a private event. Something like that. Inventions looked open too plus I never heard of Chef Mickey appearing there, so that was the best guess I had. But the CM tells me to go and say hi and even takes the photo for me.

I have no idea if that was promotion for the restaurant or whatever. Has anyone heard of Chef Mickey appearing at Inventions? I only know of Goofy in Chef outfit at Goofy's Kitchen in DLR and Mickey's place in WDW. So maybe the idea of Paris getting him to spearhead Inventions in that outfit is not that far off. It was definitely a very nice surprise. Maybe I earned myself a bit of Pixie Dust.
+1 permalink
8/3/2013 7:14 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 4 part 5: Parade Time

The parade route is already packed, at least the areas that are not in the blazing sun. Even the flower beds and the grass is not safe. As long as there’s shadow at least three people are sitting in it. I guess fences are mainly used for decoration purposes nowadays?

One of the least bad places actually turns out to be the handicapped area in front of the castle. At least I won’t be getting fried in the sun. Unfortunately a group of pretty rowdy young males who appear quite intoxicated to me is standing close to me. Ugh. It’s still somehow worth it though because it’s the first time I get real character interaction in the parade, including Hatter recognizing me.

Interestingly Snow White and Prince were absent from the parade that day.

I was shooting pretty much directly into the sun most of the time, so please excuse the unplanned effects on some shots.

After the parade I’m off too Buzz again, then through the Village to the hotel. I was really trying to get back for Dreams later, but the a/c lured me into staying. Nasty little buggers they are those a/c.
+1 permalink
8/3/2013 8:49 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

From what I hear, Mickey appears outside California Grill everyday for 20 minutes after restaurant opening

--

Next Trips:

0 permalink
8/3/2013 3:49 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Ah cool. Good to know for the future. I was completely in shock. I had completely missed that. Or maybe I didn't and some subconscious memory sent me there. Big Grin
+1 permalink
8/3/2013 3:58 PM
DisneyEmma
Peter Pan
DisneyEmma

I met Mickey in that Chef outfit in Cafe Mickey in 2008, so it's definitely not a new outfit. :-)
0 permalink
8/3/2013 4:01 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Really? I knew it wasn't new cause I had seen pictures of the brunch Parisienne at Inventions. But I completely missed that he used to wear it at Café Mickey too.
+1 permalink
8/5/2013 3:26 AM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

Day 5: Going home

One last hotel round. Native American Goofy is at the Cheyenne. Is that the default summer scheduling now?

Mickey in standard clothing at the Sequoia.

The photo stop at Hotel New York is closed. Huh? Now that’s a first!

At Earl of Sandwich I am trying to get my favorite sandwich only to realize it’s no longer on the menu. L I end up getting a normal one, really not up for a third try with the breakfast one.

The munkies are at DLH.

After that May drama I am so not getting onto Buzz again this morning. I hang out at Small World gates to see if the new week brings a new cast, but I end up meeting the mice again.

There’s one change though… Cinderella and Charming quickly walk through.

I’m still missing one thing, and that’s a photo with Winnie. His meet and greet is supposed to open at 10, so I go and sit there. And wait… and wait. No Pooh, no CM informing the people waiting in full sun what is going on there. After 40 minutes I have to go. The train isn’t exactly going to wait for me because of that. Shame. Not something you like to have as your last character experience of a trip.
+1 permalink
8/5/2013 4:40 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Great report Petra, really enjoyed reading it from start to finish!!

--

Next Trips:

0 permalink
pages: 1 2 |