Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW News and Rumors » The train wreck new WDW park guide maps...

Discuss Walt Disney World news and rumors including character news, press releases, closures, openings & more
the topic is closed |
3/2/2013 12:36 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Attractions Magazine posted online today the brand new versions of the WDW FL theme park guide maps. They have been received with quite negative reception so far, and I have to say, I personally think they are a complete disaster!

Here's all four park maps scanned in:

Magic Kingdom:

EPCOT:

Hollywood Studios:

Animal Kingdom:

Thoughts?...

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
3/2/2013 12:38 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

The images posted smaller than I anticipated. To view larger version, click the following links:

MK: http://static.attractionsmagazine.com/wp-uploads/2013/03/Screen-Shot-2013-03-02-at-10.14.13-AM.jpg
EP: http://static.attractionsmagazine.com/wp-uploads/2013/03/Screen-Shot-2013-03-02-at-10.21.08-AM.jpg
DHS: http://static.attractionsmagazine.com/wp-uploads/2013/03/Screen-Shot-2013-03-02-at-10.17.48-AM.jpg
AK: http://static.attractionsmagazine.com/wp-uploads/2013/03/Screen-Shot-2013-03-02-at-10.16.29-AM.jpg

--

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Dan.
0 permalink
3/2/2013 1:13 PM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Oh.

They certainly look pretty uninspiring!! :0/

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
-1 permalink
3/2/2013 3:15 PM
Vala
Cheshire Cat
Vala

I've seen shopping center maps that looked better than these. :/
0 permalink
3/2/2013 3:21 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

The DHS one is an absolute disaster.
Why the heck is the entrance in the top right?!

--

Dan.
0 permalink
3/3/2013 5:24 AM
Belleboy Alex
Chip 'n' Dale
Belleboy Alex

Agree with the negative comments thusfar. They just look really 'bland' and 'sterile', and are totally lacking in fun, imagination and magic. I guess they function ok as just maps, but even then, there's something quite confusing about orientating the map such that the entrance is NOT at the bottom ... very odd.
0 permalink
3/3/2013 8:39 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

I could *almost* accept these maps (although still not like them) if they were actually to scale and accurate "satellite" views of the park. I could see some argument for that; however, these maps are still not to scale and there are a lot of places where a bunch of empty green space isn't actually empty. So they get all the bland boringness of "real" maps without actually being accurate.

I know for "real" maps north is pretty much always pointing up; however, for theme park maps the maps should be oriented based on how the park is laid out... who cares which direction is north when you are trying to figure how to get somewhere inside the park... I don't see many people pulling out their compass in the middle of DHS. DHS is definitely the worst in this regards because, not only is the park entrance in a really arbitrary place, the angle of the buildings results in seeing the backsides of just about everything... how useful is that to anyone?

To make it worse as Alex said the maps look very bland. Not only are the buildings bland looking (when you actually see more than the roof that is) but all the symbols are very plain... for example, why are character meeting locations now just a small black Mickey head instead of the familiar red square with a white Mickey glove?

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
3/4/2013 7:02 AM
twor
Peter Pan
twor

I hope the style of the maps don't spread to other parks, but with the whole One Disney thing, I think they'll come to California soon if they're not already there
0 permalink
3/4/2013 10:24 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

ssaamm, sadly I think you're probably right.

--

Dan.
0 permalink
4/5/2013 7:01 AM
disneyphilip
Peter Pan
disneyphilip

I don't think there's anything wrong with them at all.

Some people need to not complain so much and learn to pick their battles. Mad
edited by disneyphilip on 4/5/2013
0 permalink
4/5/2013 7:23 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

Philip,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion... as are you... you like the maps... great... I am happy for you... that doesn't mean other people can't state theirs.

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
+1 permalink
4/5/2013 8:26 AM
StarrySeas
Minnie Mouse
StarrySeas

The scale on evertyhing seems to be way off. For example, I don't seem to recall Space Mountain being set so far back from the rest of Tomorrowland. I understand that to keep things legible, certain tweakings may be required to make it all fit. But trying to keep everything realistic looking and maintaining an appropriate scale just isn't working. Now if they wanted to hyperstylize it, and make things way out of scale but keep the same general relationships so that it still acted as a map, I would argue that it would almost be better.
0 permalink
4/5/2013 8:29 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

I forgot how bad these were until looking at them just now. Having never been to WDW I like to see the pretty pictures representing each attraction. Not a tin roof that I can't distinguish from the next one..

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trips:
30th April - 1st May 2016 - Disneyland Paris
23-24 July 2016 - Disneyland Paris
22nd July - 5th August 2017 - Walt Disney World

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
0 permalink
4/5/2013 2:31 PM
Claude Frollo
Mickey Mouse
Claude Frollo

I think the map looks nice